Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i could not get the gear off the end of my crank on the cam pully side, i had the puller it would not clear the inside of the case so i had to "manually" press out the crank to separate the crank from the case and the gear. i had the nu on the end of the threads to protect them till the gear was almost touching the nut only had a little to go, pulled the nut and proceeded to carfully beat the crank out tough sob. managed to not mess he threads up, but it would appear that the end is slightly mushroomed now the nut will not go back on :( working on a 67 500 btw need to know what size of a die i need to try and get to get it sorted and imput is greatly appriciated i just hope i didnt make myselft a really fancy expensive paperweight.

·
Registered
398 Posts
i used a block of aluminum on the press to push it out. the aluminum (or any other softer metal) will deform before the threads of the crank. my buddy uses a brass mallet to beat axle shafts into and out of place, never messed up a thread yet.....so he claims.

also always a good idea to loosly put the nut on before you beat the end of a shaft so you can back the nut off to correct the threads if necessary.

i used a cheap bearing puller after separating the cases to pull the pinion & bearing off the crank.

edit: whoops, wrong pic that's the clutch basket hub, but i used it on the crank pinion as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You should have heated the case before removing the bearing.
Heat the case to about 250 F in an oven,and the crank will drop out with the bearing and gear attached.
Then pull the bearing and gear of the shaft.

Heat the case before you re-fit a bearing,and hope it's still a tight fit in the housing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i appriciate all the input and mr pete i will definaly do that next time... things you wish you knew, oh well live and learn, i am curious now what the size and pitch of threads are now just as basic knowledge to know. are all threads whitworth on the bike?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.