Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know...I've got a ton more questions too...

But my question for the night is what is everyone using for fuel filters?

I know alot of people just rely in the screens in the petcocks and the one(s) in the carb(s) but why or why not run an in-line filter as well?

Is it just not necessary?
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=necessary
The only reason I ask is over the winter my "hot rod mentor" so to speak saw the in line filters on my bike & told me in no uncertain terms they were a bad idea.
When I asked him what else I should use he said, "Anything else".

Thanks.

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
I'm running one on my honda..but it's a stock one. small little booger like you'd find on a lawnmower or something

·
Registered
618 Posts
What kind of filter did you have? I've heard bad things about the glass ones breaking. If that was the case, maybe he was suggesting an aluminum one???

I've read that running both a screen on the petcock and an inline filter can starve the carbs of gas, so it should be one or the other but not both.

-AJ

Richie said:
I know, I know...I've got a ton more questions too...

But my question for the night is what is everyone using for fuel filters?

I know alot of people just rely in the screens in the petcocks and the one(s) in the carb(s) but why or why not run an in-line filter as well?

Is it just not necessary?

The only reason I ask is over the winter my "hot rod mentor" so to speak saw the in line filters on my bike & told me in no uncertain terms they were a bad idea.
When I asked him what else I should use he said, "Anything else".

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I run filters on everything .... Screens pull out the chunks .... ol' bike ,ol' tank ... sweating ... rust .....

I've had a glass inline on my shovel for the better part of 10 yrs ... no problems ... but had friends burn down VW's with early style glass inlines years ago .....

Think the paper filter does a better job of "filtering" though .....

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aj650 said:
What kind of filter did you have? I've heard bad things about the glass ones breaking. If that was the case, maybe he was suggesting an aluminum one???

I've read that running both a screen on the petcock and an inline filter can starve the carbs of gas, so it should be one or the other but not both.

-AJ
They're in line glass ones.....
I can see his point about them breaking of course & he's sort of the type of guy that....you know the ones....if he suggests something its usually a good idea (provided its not a suggestion like, "Pull over here, I'll be right back, DO NOT shut the motor off".)

I kind of want to clean a few things up, fuel lines being one of them but I'm kind of sketchy on ditching the filters....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not ta beat a dead horse .....

This is a photo of the Weber float bowl on one of my cars ... The carb was clean and the tank had been drained ( what I drained out looked great ) before this photo was taken.

Granted, the car is running a low pressure, high volume fuel pump w/return ... but all this fine crap got past a glass Purolator filter .... Hate to see with out any filter ......

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts