Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through all the posts and got some good info about aquiring a title for my new project. I've been through it twice with bill of sale bikes, but this new project is different.
About a year ago I met a guy at my work and we got talking bikes. One thing leads to another and I bought a pile of parts from him. The guy was a little crazy, but seemed legit. Among the parts was an old Bultaco bike (frame, tank, front end, wheels) in pieces, including the BSA 441 that was in it at one time (although the frame looked as though it may have been modified to fit the B44 so I'm not sure if it was original or not). I thought about scratch building a frame, but I found a good deal on a '66 tr6 frame on ebay with a bolt on rear.

Question:
Does the # on the (1968) B44 motor corrospond to a frame that may be out there somewhere? Or is it likely, (being that is was an offroad bike I'm guessing) that the motor was just purchased by Bultaco, or someone putting the bike together originally (the #'s dont match anything in the Bultaco frame)?

I also have a # on the tr6 frame that I could use to obtain a title, but I plan to modify the frame to an extent that I would have no problem removing the section where the original # was (if it makes it easier to title it by the motor #).

The first thing I will do is have my officer friend (who is by the way a classic Triumph owner) check the numbers to make sure ity is all clear.
After that I just need to figure out what is the best route to register the
beast. I would of course rather have it titled as an old bike so I don't have to worry about signals and all that. I don't mind doing things that are frowned upon by the DMV, but of course I don't want to end up with an impounded bike (or worse)
I'm just looking for some advice.

Thanks guys,
New Guy Nate

·
Registered
944 Posts
I can answer one of your questions.
Question:
Does the # on the (1968) B44 motor corrospond to a frame that may be out there somewhere? Or is it likely, (being that is was an offroad bike I'm guessing) that the motor was just purchased by Bultaco, or someone putting the bike together originally (the #'s dont match anything in the Bultaco frame)?

Yes, BSA produced the 441 in both street and trail versions. I believe the motor numbers were different from the frames. Your motor was most likely put in the Bultaco frame by a previous owner...it was a desert rider thing to reduce weight/improve handling. I had a Greeves with a 441 motor in it once. You can probably find an original frame pretty easy, seems like I have seen them on E-bay quite a bit. I have also seen them in A65/A50 twin frames which made a nice combo.

Hank

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, BSA produced the 441 in both street and trail versions. I believe the motor numbers were different from the frames. Your motor was most likely put in the Bultaco frame by a previous owner...it was a desert rider thing to reduce weight/improve handling. I had a Greeves with a 441 motor in it once. You can probably find an original frame pretty easy, seems like I have seen them on E-bay quite a bit. I have also seen them in A65/A50 twin frames which made a nice combo.

Hank[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, but are you saying that I may be able to use a different (but Originally B44) street frame of the right year? I guess I could try to get one with a title, if the #'s don't have to exactly match the motor... hmmm
But I hope to use the Triumph frame if possible since I already have it (and a lack of $$$).
Thanks for the info,
Nate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts