Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, This may have been asked a thousand times but im wanting to fit a '72 xlch front end and drum to a '54 rigid big twin frame.
I need to buy a neck cup kit anyway, is it as easy as getting bearing with 15/16 i.d?
Any help from someone who has done this would be great

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The 72 XLCH front end will not fix, without cutting the frame. If you had a early big twin narrow glide lower tree, or complete front end, it would bolt in, with stock parts. The XLCH stem is to short for the frame, unless you are the machinest from hell. If you are, then it will fit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, cheers for the help. I guess if you were really keen you could make a new stem for the sportster lower tree. But its prob easier to just get an early lower tree.
Ive seen alot of guys in japan running them on big twins

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
This is one I did in '72 using a stock Sportster set with a new made stem. Superglide stuff was not readily available yet. The stem is dead easy to replace as early Sportster stems were just pressed in and held with a setscrew. I seem to recall that by the early '70s they just were tack welded in place, still easy.
Robbie

·
Registered
561 Posts
That seat set up is rockin'. A custom sprung seat with a backrest.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The 72 XLCH front end will not fix, without cutting the frame. If you had a early big twin narrow glide lower tree, or complete front end, it would bolt in, with stock parts. The XLCH stem is to short for the frame, unless you are the machinest from hell. If you are, then it will fit.
I'd like to fit a Sportster 35mm front end (Showa) on 2 big twin frames
a stock shovel swing arm and a panhead hydra glide wishbone

Will I have the same issue? I used to think I was ok with that 1 inch stem...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts