Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not one to bitch,,but fucking seriously.. got a few tanks online this month. One neat old tank in primer, box gets here ( UPS ) and has a smell :confused:

Open the box there is the tank in a plastic bag with liquid all over the place,,turns out there is about a pint of OLD dead gas like varnish in the tank !

Then got 2 more today,,one the bottom is filled with dead rusty water WTF,,

I have to say I just can't understand this at all,,and how the "Flammable Tank" even got here,,I'll never know and UPS had to smell...

Lazy or people who just don't give a shit,,I just don't know

·
Registered
837 Posts
i got an oil cooler for some other project off the ebay... the box had a bit of oil on the outside. the box inside the first box was wrapped in two layers of Hefty bag and what must have been an entire roll of duct tape. once i finally got inside that mess, it was nothing but oil soaked packing peanuts.
i poured about a pint of oil out of the inner box.

i'm impressed they were able to keep the oil cooler full of oil while the packed it up :)

would have taken 30 seconds to drain it into something.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i got an oil cooler for some other project off the ebay... the box had a bit of oil on the outside. the box inside the first box was wrapped in two layers of Hefty bag and what must have been an entire roll of duct tape. once i finally got inside that mess, it was nothing but oil soaked packing peanuts.
i poured about a pint of oil out of the inner box.

i'm impressed they were able to keep the oil cooler full of oil while the packed it up :)

would have taken 30 seconds to drain it into something.
Be real careful using a used oil cooler, everything that was floating around the last guys engine will be floating around in yours. Even if you try to clean it out real good there could be grit and shit that break loose once it gets up to engine temperature. I know a guy that rebuilt an Evo and it was destroyed shortly after he put a used eBay found cooler on it. It seems the jackass he bought it from blasted it with silicon carbide then repainted it to get a few more $$$ out of it, but did a crappy job plugging the ports. Same goes with used oil tanks so beeee careful!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have received transmissions, full of oil. Luckily, they did not leak. So, does that mean I got a good deal?

Nothing surprises me these days. And I mean NOTHING.

·
Registered
240 Posts
LAZZY! you nailed it! People are trying to get away with the least amount of work they can, I see this at work every day, if you're not behind, people cheat! I fuckin hate it.

Ever get stuff with clothes used as packing material? Yum.
Nice! one less laundry load to run.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Loffer that's my courteous nature:) As for shipping used parts a little oil or grime wont hurt but old varnish is kinda lame to ship.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, and the shipper OBVIOUSLY used stuff from the nasty-ass bottom of the stinking pile of filthy dirty laundry... I am not joking. I put on gloves to retrieve my purchase then took the box and "packing materials" directly to the dumpster.
-tombat

·
Registered
944 Posts
I received a used tank from a well known vendor via UPS that was 1/2 full of rotten gas. You could smell it when the truck pulled up to the house. The box was saturated. I was very surprised that it was delivered. I also received a 4 speed tranny that was full of oil...needless to say FEDUPS was not happy about that. The box as left at the garage door where it proceeded to make a nice puddle.
Hank

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not one to bitch,,but fucking seriously.. got a few tanks online this month. One neat old tank in primer, box gets here ( UPS ) and has a smell :confused:

Open the box there is the tank in a plastic bag with liquid all over the place,,turns out there is about a pint of OLD dead gas like varnish in the tank !

Then got 2 more today,,one the bottom is filled with dead rusty water WTF,,

I have to say I just can't understand this at all,,and how the "Flammable Tank" even got here,,I'll never know and UPS had to smell...

Lazy or people who just don't give a shit,,I just don't know
Damn at least you didn't open the box while you were smoking something!.

It seems the same prick that delivers to loffer in NY use to be my delivery guy
In Austin tx.I had to return my rims to black bike wheels because the the guy tossed them down my porch. (they were packed about has good as you can without overdoing it)and this happened twice.the second time I had to beat on the lip with a rubber mallet to fix um.he denied it but I know it was him. I lived in the country at the time with a LonG driveway.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got something off e-bay once that was packed with used McDonalds wrappers and I got a piston that had the shipping label slapped right on the flimsy box pistons come in. No packing whatsoever. Missing circlips, broken rings, dented. Exactly what you would expect if you had a brain bigger than a peppercorn.

Eric

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Awesome post. I genuinely amazed nobody has posted on this topic before. It irritates me to no end the way that slackers will cram a 50+ year old motorcycle part into a box with no packing material and expect it to survive the brutality of pissed-off postal workers. This motor with a '59 Bonnie head was in perfect shape before the seller decided to pack and ship it using only a cardboard box and trashbags as packing material. No cracks in the combustion chamber, never had a valve job, but missing at the fins on one side. Still pisses me off.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts