Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daily driver is a flh with a cv carb. 90k reliable miles.
Today after a 25 mile trip the idle speed had risen to 1500 rpm. Normal it is 1k. I checked that the enricher was off. The two throttle cables had slack at the carb. Sprayed some carb cleaner around the intake and back of carb.(no change).

I readjusted the idle mixture. (screw felt like it may have backed out from normal.. I screwed it in about 4 turns til the bike got rough..). reset the idle speed back down to 1k.

After another 25 mile trip the idle is right back up to 1500 again..

I figure to remove and tear down the carb, after looking again for a vaccum leak..

Any thing else I may be overlooking..or should look for when I get the carb apart..

Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You may have a small tear in the CV diaphram letting too much air in. Increased idle speed is a classic too lean condition.

·
Registered
457 Posts
CV carbs have a vaccuum port to send a signal to the VOES and on some models the petcock as well. The port is plugged up, if not used, by a rubber cap. It is hard to see sometimes as the plastic top hides it somewhat. Make sure your cap is in place and intact. Also one one weird occasion I had the enrichner cable fitting crack. That caused an air leak that I couldn't pick up with the standard methods...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the carb torn down over the weekend after getting a rebuild kit from Als cycles.
45 Flat nailed it.. The carb cover had a worn spot through it from the gas tank flange. The kit came with new intake seals so I will try for more clearance when it goes together.
One thing I cannot find info about.. Does the idle mixture screw have an o-ring.
Thanks all for the help..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.