Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that missed it at the theaters, as I did. It will be released on the 12th on dvd.

·
Registered
328 Posts
We watched it last night, I noticed the SCTA has him down for 187 mph S-F 1000cc in 1967. The movie has 201 mph in 1963. Anyone have an explanation. Tim

·
Registered
396 Posts
The SCTA has the correct record. They bumbed up the record for the movie because they thought it sounded more impressive. But it's still about the best movie to come out in a long time! I'll be buying it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Saw it last night (Dad day gift) and liked it, best movie I have seen in a while. It amazes me that I would have had to drive 1.5 hours to find a local theater to see it and the wife said she tried to get it at Walmart and they did not even have it? She liked the movie and like I said it was one of the best movies I have seen in a while - why is it so hard to find - poor distribution/marketing or am I missing something?

Amazon.com has it for

Items:$13.87
Shipping & Handling: $2.98
Total Before Tax:$16.85
Estimated Tax:$0.00
Order Total: $16.85
<TD bgColor=#000000 colSpan=2>
[/TD]

·
Registered
485 Posts
I got it for fathers day last night. Opened it up and watched it with my 8 and 6 year old boys. Got up this morning and watched it again :D

Me and my wife took them to see it when it was in the theater and I'm glad I did. Burt Munro is now a big hero to them! And I couldn't be more proud of thier decision! I can't wait to take them to speed week this year!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
ok, i'm gonna be a jerk-ass for a moment here.
i really loved the movie. i just wish the shots at bonnevile were longer.
when burt had the streamliner body in the bike he could not hold it up because his legs wewre pinned in. he also couldnot mount or dismount the bike without others arount to hold it up for him, but.................. didja catch when he took the test run w/ the lead wieght? the cop turned around to stop him and eventually caught up there was burt with the bike parked and him standing next to it all alone. how did he get out?

there musta been something i missed. guess i re-view it when i get it back from my dad.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
But he's still listed in the 2006 SCTA record book which means he still holds the record in his class. However, since he last raced, they switched from the old AMA rules to the SCTA rules and his bike wouldn't pass tech inspection under the new rules. Still, that's a very impressive feat considering his bike was 50 some years old when he raced it. The new SCTA rules are pretty strict, lots of stuff like belly pans to keep oil off the salt and alot more safety stuff, seats, harnesses, firewalls, parachute, types of welds, gussets, etc. Hopefully "Dreamcatcher" my partner's streamliner will pass tech inspection this August during speedweek. Amazon still hasen't delivered my dvd...:confused:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yeah, I liked the part about him making his own pistons with an open flame burner. Anyone who's ever cast their own pistons knows it can't be done that way. Burt made his own pistons but the movie took some liberty showing how he did it. I liked the shoe polish in the weathercheck cracks in the tires. That's something my little brother would do.....

·
Registered
485 Posts
beatcad said:
ok, i'm gonna be a jerk-ass for a moment here.
i really loved the movie. i just wish the shots at bonnevile were longer.
when burt had the streamliner body in the bike he could not hold it up because his legs wewre pinned in. he also couldnot mount or dismount the bike without others arount to hold it up for him, but.................. didja catch when he took the test run w/ the lead wieght? the cop turned around to stop him and eventually caught up there was burt with the bike parked and him standing next to it all alone. how did he get out?

there musta been something i missed. guess i re-view it when i get it back from my dad.
:D If you watch Pulp Fiction you can see the bullet holes in the wall right befor the guy comes out of the bathroom and unloads on Vincent and Jules. I love movie flaws.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I met one of the original people that threw in money for Monroe at Bonneville. Not one of the original people from THE MOVIE... from the REAL story! Duane Cole. He had some great stories about the guy and said that the movie is pretty close in all actuality except for a few details to make it catchy in Hollywood. He said the real reason he ended up broke by the time he got to Bonneville was because the bike was actually sent to Oregon by mistake and he had to drive all the way to Oregon to get the bike and then back down to Bonneville with it. He also said that it's the only time in the History of Bonneville that money was given out to anyone (that he knew of). He said companies will promote their products by handing out samples or giving cases of oil away and stuff, but never money. Don't know if any of that is true, but that's what the guy said. Duane Cole and his son Gary go to Bonneville every year still. Was glad I got a chance to meet them and hear some good stories! Their waterjetting business is DC Water Jet here in Vegas... www.dcwaterjet.com...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I once read, that a movie about a real life event, no matter interesting that event, must legally be altered by a certain percentage, to be released without being an actual documentary. Which is then an issue of financing and such, involved if its a feature or documentary.

Not saying it necessarily applies here. But no matter, the story still had enough bits and pieces of real events (yeah maybe they happened at different times, but still real), and done well enough that I would say it was one my favorite all time movies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts