Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dave & ginger took my wife & i to see the movie "the worlds fastest indian" last night. all i can say is wow! even our wives both loved it. very good movie, put it on your list to see if you get a chance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
knucklehead said:
dave & ginger took my wife & i to see the movie "the worlds fastest indian" last night. all i can say is wow! even our wives both loved it. very good movie, put it on your list to see if you get a chance.
I'm not knocking the movie, I saw it and will see it several more times. BUT, read the book! They did the Hollywood drama thing WAY too much in the movie. His real life stories from the book would have made a better movie then the made-up stuff they used. The book was written by George Begg, his long time friend and test driver/ mechanic for Bruce McClaren. For example, Burt hacksawed and filed to shape his connecting rods from old construction equipment axles!

·
Registered
967 Posts
noboD said:
I'm not knocking the movie, I saw it and will see it several more times. BUT, read the book! They did the Hollywood drama thing WAY too much in the movie. His real life stories from the book would have made a better movie then the made-up stuff they used. The book was written by George Begg, his long time friend and test driver/ mechanic for Bruce McClaren. For example, Burt hacksawed and filed to shape his connecting rods from old construction equipment axles!
I just ordered the book from amazon...loved the movie, I'm sure I'll like the book.

·
Registered
169 Posts
noboD said:
I noticed there are two books on Munro: the one mentioned and another by Tim Hanna called "One Good Run."

Anyone read the latter? Both?

I'll probably buy both anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I was trying to buy it those pricks at Amazon said they never heard of it. I even had the ISBN number and they wouldn't order it. Same thing with Border's. I finally found it advertised in the AMCA newsletter from The Shop in Ventura,Ca. It was like $35 with shipping to Pa. I don't know anyone that read the other book, but I know you'll like George Begg's. And I have no connection to Begg or The Shop.
KnuckleBuster said:
I just ordered the book from amazon...loved the movie, I'm sure I'll like the book.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Wow,Forgot to get back and thank everyone for the reveiw.I went to the movin picture show about 3 weeks ago and saw it.Thought it was a good movie.I give it 3 1/2 home made pistons.After the posts about the book now I'll have to get it.For those who thought I was asking a stupid question about it being good enough to see I wanted to make sure it wasn't a exploitation biker movie for all the wanabee t shirt bikers out there to go see.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Frosty said:
For those who thought I was asking a stupid question about it being good enough to see I wanted to make sure it wasn't a exploitation biker movie for all the wanabee t shirt bikers out there to go see.
You know, you're right about that. When my girlfriend and I went to see it, we were the youngest ones in the theater. Everyone else was retirement age - I thought that was pretty damn cool. Certainly not the "Torque" or "Fast and Furious" crowd.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
When I saw it in Minneapolis a few weeks ago the theatre was packed and the line went down the sidewalk to get in. When I saw it in Bismarck ND, last weekend there were 6 other people in the theatre. Go figure...

·
Registered
49 Posts
noboD said:
When I was trying to buy it those pricks at Amazon said they never heard of it. I even had the ISBN number and they wouldn't order it. Same thing with Border's. I finally found it advertised in the AMCA newsletter from The Shop in Ventura,Ca. It was like $35 with shipping to Pa. I don't know anyone that read the other book, but I know you'll like George Begg's. And I have no connection to Begg or The Shop.
check out www.abebooks.com

it's a great place to find boks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
noboD said:
Where can i get the book????? What's the title???????

·
Registered
48 Posts
racer5c said:
Where can i get the book????? What's the title???????
5C, I just loaned my copy to a friend, but I think it's Burt Munro, World's Fastest Indian by George Begg. It has a maroon cover. Every place I found it on the internet was in New Zealand, where it was printed and where Burt was from. They wanted like $65 plus a slow boat ride. I found my note when I ordered it. The Shop is at 6541 Ventura Blvd. Ventura, Ca 93003 Phone is 805-650-6777. Samatha took my order and even went and made sure they were in stock, charged me $35 with shipping and I had it in less then a week, to Pa.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I liked it a lot. But I have 2 complaints

1. It seemed too "Disney." Made the 50's and 60's look like gumdrops and rainbows and everyone is super nice. Har

2. Why'd they have to change history? After watching it I read much as I could about Burt and learned that they changed his speed and combined different attempts, and just wrong info. The reality of his life would have made just as good a story.

But I watched it 3 times :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts