Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen many of us working on these but I'll ask anyway. I need to build up the pads that contact the valve stems. What is the compound that the rocker arms are made of and what kind of TIG rod should I use to build these up?

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Old time fix was build them up with Stellite rod and grind to shape.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you weld hardfacing materal onto the piece you are working on?
Seriously I ment to say what kind of hard face tig rod would you use. I've heard a few different things stellite being one. I talked to a Metaleargest/ machinest he said that if it were his he would just run some 312 stainless rod onto it. Also heard manganese bronze would work. I think I'll keep looking for answers for now.

Pan620 where in kansas are you?
Tattoo have you ever priced knuck rocker arms? I have.

Welding will not last, need to be hard faced then ground.

·
Registered
417 Posts
+1 on the hardface rod with the tig. Remember to use the least amount of heat possible, 1/8" arc rod uses like 50-60amps. Just clean the flux off obviously first. I'm gonna do my pan rockers soon.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Where are you located in Kansas? I'm in North Kansas City, MO. I have a Cronatron torch setup that uses oxy-acetylene to spray powdered metal and build up a surface. One of the powders is hard facing compound. If you're not close maybe you can find some in a weld shop somewhere local to you. I've never tried it on rockers, but don't see why it wouldn't work. :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wizzbang I'm 30 miles S of Topeka but I'm a local #8 plumber so I'm in KC every day. If I don't come up with something better I'd like to see what we can do.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Tig rod - Stellite#6 or Stoody#6

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, I work 10 hour night shifts Monday-Thursday, and off on the weekends. Maybe we can work out a time to take a stab at it, on a Friday evening possibly?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, after much research I've concluded that the stellite 6 or stoodite 6 is the right thing to use. Now I'd like to buy less than 5 lbs. I only need a couple of sticks. Does anyone have a few I could purchase?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
That is some mega hard stuff, you won't touch it with a file, must be grounded...
Yeah, it's a little rough on the file teeth :D.
Even with the right tooling it machines pretty tuff too.
But it grinds very nicely :).

Geo.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Look around for a welding shop that repairs drill bits for the oil patch or a rock crusher .
A welder that deals with heavy construction equipment . They weld wear strips onto the buckets of loaders and backhoes .
A place that builds teeth for farm tillage tools chisel teeth, cultivator sweeps .
Hope that helps you find some rod. Good Luck on your rebuild.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rod they use on heavy equipment is not as hard as stellite #6. Nor is it as resistant to metal to metal contact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts