Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When building my chopper's gas tank, I made a recess in it to accept a piece of fitted wood. After seeing a luxury car commercial about polished wood I wondered if I could do something similar. Using some pearl dust from hobby lobby mixed with PPG clear. The mix was very heavy on pearl. Pushing the mixture against the grain worked the dust into the pores of the wood. When the clear became tacky, urethane thinner in a rag pulled with the grain took all the excess off leaving the pearl where it was supposed to be.

Now it will be Kandied red to match the stain and the to-be paint job. Taken out into the sun, the grain looks like diamonds. Kindof a neat touch for a unique tank.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looking good.
I want to see the finished product.
And the bike It's going on.
How the overhang on the front is going to work out, etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has been runnin for over 10,000 miles since it came out of boxes. The crank pin went out so now it is getting a little love this winter. There is no overhang on front, it is all fabricated to be art deco.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Dang. That's a killer job. I do a little furniture restoration on the side, so I love stuff like this. Spot on.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Man that looks great,good looking scoot too.Make sure you seal the shit out of it all the way around,but hell you probably know that.lol

·
4,051 Posts
I modify and refinish rifle stocks. I think that thing would looks great sanded down and rubbed with teak or tung oil - it would lend quite a bit of preservative quality to the finish.

Just one man's thoughts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I modify and refinish rifle stocks. I think that thing would looks great sanded down and rubbed with teak or tung oil - it would lend quite a bit of preservative quality to the finish.

Just one man's thoughts.
Thanks for the heads up! I will be looking into that stuff. Do you know if those products are chemically resistant? Just don't want anything reacting with gas or the vapors.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Your take has a "woodie". Never seen that..........til now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts