Jockey Journal Forum banner

Won't stay running

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  chopperjunkie73 
#1 ·
I just picked up a new sporty hardtail bike yesterday and have a question about how it runs (or doesn't). The bike will start with the carb fully choked, it runs fine, but has small "pops" out of the exhaust. As soon as you turn the choke off it dies. It has a S&S Super E carb on it. The guy had new pistons put in it last winter and he said it ran fine before this. He did have the cylinders bored. I haven't even had a chance to try anything as far as troubleshooting, but thought I'd post here to get a few idea's of what the problem might be and where to start. Let me know what you think.

G
#3 ·
#4 ·
Being it has sit with gas in the carb...It has turned to glue....

Fellow's ...anytime that you intend to store your bike...Best to shut off the fuel valve and let the motor run the carb dry of fuel...
And fill the tank full of gas...Helps to keep rust from forming inside the tank

This saves a bit of work when you get around to wanting to throw a leg over it again...
Even better, go to your local marina and get some Ethanol-free gas to fill the tank with. Even run a bit of it through the carb first. The 10% ethanol gas gums up faster than anything.

#6 ·
.....Getting alot of mileage out of "Cotten's" photo.....

A buddy of mine bought a bike from Irish Rich (White Heat) that sat at a Harley Dealership and then Dennis Goodson's house for a total of about three years. The shipping company dropped it off at my house and he asked if I could go over it, fix a couple of things and make sure it was running well. Needless to say the tank had to be cleaned out, the gas had eaten the paint around the petcock and the carb (Super E) had to be not only rebuilt, but literally submerged in carb cleaner. The little amount of gas that came out of the tank was straight varnish and the passages on the jets were gummed closed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.