Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just briefly can someone tell me why a WL engine goes for about 1/3 to 1/5 the price of a pan or knuckle? Do they suck that bad? I'm really starting to crave a WL engined mild chopper pretty badly, but I'd like to get some skinny on them first. I imagine speed is a factor...reliability? Parts are probably less than easy to get, too. Are they unpopular because S&S hasn't repopped them for OCC yet? I'm thinking that in a couple of weeks, I may start looking for an engine...as if I need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeez. Sorry.


Actually, they aren't even worth pursuing...old junk, hard to find parts, very little shiny stuff on 'em, 3 speed trannys, hell, they don't even look good on TV.
 

·
Atomic Custom
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
fatass said:
Jeez. Sorry.

Actually, they aren't even worth pursuing...old junk, hard to find parts, very little shiny stuff on 'em, 3 speed trannys, hell, they don't even look good on TV.
Now youre talking!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Man, I hate to say it, but I would like to get one with a title to build a dirtbike with for the nephew..... So if anyone has one with paper leme know. I guess I could put knobbies on a stock frame if ya got it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
hd made 80 gazzilion of them so they are very common. they made very little power, but were hard to kill (if left stock) & very reliable. they were slow. ok for a putt around town, but they wont run 65 on a freeway unless you gear them up & they cant handle that modification & live. since they didnt have as many parts interchanging for decades with big twins they just were not very popular (or pretty) when bobbing them. the aftermarket does not make many custom parts for them because of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
knucklehead said:
hd made 80 gazzilion of them so they are very common. they made very little power, but were hard to kill (if left stock) & very reliable. they were slow. ok for a putt around town, but they wont run 65 on a freeway unless you gear them up & they cant handle that modification & live. since they didnt have as many parts interchanging for decades with big twins they just were not very popular (or pretty) when bobbing them. the aftermarket does not make many custom parts for them because of this.
Ignorance must be bliss.

Very hard to kill, no matter the spec. They are not big twins & don't run like 'em, but they can run all day at 65 with the right gearing - and live - the gearing doesn't hurt, it helps longevity.

As for parts interchanging - the WL has it on nearly anything. No, they don't interchange with big twins, but within the family damn near everything interchanges from '41-73 & most pre '41 as well.

Pretty is as pretty does - the damn thing looks just like any other rigid of the period - save the engine.

The aftermarket makes damn near complete bikes now as well as plenty of custom parts.

Ignorance must be bliss.

As for the original question - they're typically reasonably priced bikes, great to putt around with, you can go long distances on them with a few mods, and parts are cheap & easy to find with excellent aftermarket support. Plenty of folks mildly chop & bob them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks...I think they're as pretty as it gets. But I'm a flatty guy down deep.

I think this is gonna be my "big twin" bike. I remember seeing one during one of my dad's Myrtle Beach get togethers....holy shit, it sounded GREAT!

65 is all I'm looking for.
Flat Ernie said:
Ignorance must be bliss.

Very hard to kill, no matter the spec. They are not big twins & don't run like 'em, but they can run all day at 65 with the right gearing - and live - the gearing doesn't hurt, it helps longevity.

As for parts interchanging - the WL has it on nearly anything. No, they don't interchange with big twins, but within the family damn near everything interchanges from '41-73 & most pre '41 as well.

Pretty is as pretty does - the damn thing looks just like any other rigid of the period - save the engine.

The aftermarket makes damn near complete bikes now as well as plenty of custom parts.

Ignorance must be bliss.

As for the original question - they're typically reasonably priced bikes, great to putt around with, you can go long distances on them with a few mods, and parts are cheap & easy to find with excellent aftermarket support. Plenty of folks mildly chop & bob them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
There where many of them produced, the ones with a G are for a servi car and there are some without #s. They where in the national stock system. Another intresting tid-bit is during wwII the s/n are barely stamped. blame it on rosie the riveter. tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
leadsled said:
They where in the national stock system. Another intresting tid-bit is during wwII the s/n are barely stamped. blame it on rosie the riveter. tim
I'm fascinated by the fact that there was enough spare parts surplus made suring WWII to keep these bikes running up until the present. I bought NOS rocker bushings (WWII surplus) on eBay cheaper than I could make new ones. Even JP Cycles has NOS army-green WL cases in their catalog. A lot of WLAs were destroyed after the war. That fact alone makes me feel guilty about tossing even rusty CB350 parts.

A friend that rode a WL in the early 1970s told me that it was cheaper to buy an NOS army engine than to rebuild his original.

I imagine the military has since changed its manufacturing and parts purchase model. Otherwise, we'll be building HUMVEEs from NOS parts for the next 50 years.

This place just started selling repro frames for about $1,300. You could build a roller using cheap Jap and Brit parts, get any engine up through 1973, and build a cheap bobber mutt.

http://www.45partsdepot.com/45parts/index45parts.html
 

·
Atomic Custom
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
Sporticus said:
This place just started selling repro frames for about $1,300. You could build a roller using cheap Jap and Brit parts, get any engine up through 1973, and build a cheap bobber mutt.
http://www.45partsdepot.com/45parts/index45parts.html
FYI - I am a dealer for 45 Parts Depot.. If anyone needs anything..

Holla at me.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top