Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
need a sanity check here

3/4" rear axle in a 49 wishbone frame
the axle OD is stepped 2 times, is this right? juice brake? Doesn't seem to fit the bearings in the wheel I have except at the widest OD

The pictures I found in the palmer book don't look like the axle changes size
For what it's worth it's a taiwan made colony and the part number matches the oem book number

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unless someone knows otherwise I think I found the answer
The mechanical brake drum on the 48-57 bikes had a sleeve that fit over the initial smaller part of the axle

Since I'm running a single disc brake I must have to run a straight up 3/4" axle

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You're correct. That spacer looks like this:

And it fits between the inside of the right frame rail and the wheel bearing. Not sure it'll help (not too familar with disk'd pans), but VT makes a special axle for thier timken bearing star hub which might be of use to you...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
need a sanity check here

For what it's worth it's a taiwan made colony and the part number matches the oem book number
I feel a real need to correct this - Colony is not a Taiwanese company. Their shop is located just down the road from me in Brunswick, Ohio. They employ real U.S.A. people and pay real U.S.A. wages. They make their parts right here in Ohio and use local companies to do their plating. Mark and the rest of the folks there are good people and have helped me out more times than I can remember. Whenever you can, buy parts made in the U.S.A.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geo, I meant no offense to Colony and I do buy USA made whenever it makes sense. I trust they are great people /business -- but this axle is definitely manufactured in taiwan. How do I know? The little gold sticker on the inside of the package that says "MADE IN TAIWAN". I still have it. But this thread isn't about where it's made cause I don't care as long as it doesn't sheer off at 70mph. Just trying to get my rear wheel setup (5 bolt dual flange mag)

VT No: 44-0221 Looks like it would do the trick, but it's 90 bones
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/VTwinProd1_10101_10102_3313971_-1
it's 10.25", which is good since the 11.25" axle I had sticks out an inch too far
Chances are I will just have one cut locally to make sure it fits right

pzokes I was looking at those axle locators trying to understand why you would need 2. Doesn't one side of the axle already fit squarely into the 7/8 axle slot in an oem frame?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Just trying to get my rear wheel setup (5 bolt dual flange mag)

VT No: 44-0221 Looks like it would do the trick, but it's 90 bones
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/VTwinProd1_10101_10102_3313971_-1
it's 10.25", which is good since the 11.25" axle I had sticks out an inch too far
Chances are I will just have one cut locally to make sure it fits right

pzokes I was looking at those axle locators trying to understand why you would need 2. Doesn't one side of the axle already fit squarely into the 7/8 axle slot in an oem frame?
If you're using a dual flange wheel, you can throw out anything that works with a stock drum brake. Different spacers, different axle diameter.

Look at Paughco and CCI, they both offer the stuff to make it all bolt up right. I'm sure Drag Specialties has the right stuff too, just haven't dealt with them lately.
Larry T

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The axle locators that Fab Kevin sells are made to work with a Softail-style R/H nut, or a 4sp OEM disc brake rear swingarm axle, which neither of the two axles have the nut machined to slide into the old OEM-style axle plates. Kevin made those so you could use your disc brake 4sp axle, or a Softail-style axle, with the Softail-style axle adjusters.

If you want to use the axle that has the R/H nut machined to slide into your OEM axle plate slot, with the L/H spacer that's machined to fit the left axle slot, then you need the Paughco axle for rigid frames/disc brake/chain drive combo, part # 26BK. It's a 10 13/16" long axle, fits 9 1/4" wide aftermarket frames, as well as the OEM frames. I order these for both original frames and the swingarm frames I hardtail with the OEM repop axle plates from Hardtail Choppers, and the length is perfect. But, theey aren't cheap, either. I doubt you're going to get an full axle kit for less than $70.-90.00 from anybody, and you need a full axle kit for what you want to do.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this forum really kills it, thank you again for taking the time to point me in the right direction

Think I found the part you were referencing. The axle seems right (without the stepped size for drum brake), and it looks like part Paughco part "33D2" would fit into the left side axle slot

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
this forum really kills it, thank you again for taking the time to point me in the right direction

Think I found the part you were referencing. The axle seems right (without the stepped size for drum brake), and it looks like part Paughco part "33D2" would fit into the left side axle slot
You got it, 33D2 in the kit fits the L/H axle slot, 35 goes over it on the outside of the axle plate, and that's what the axle adjuster screw pushes against. The axle itself has the R/H nut cap on it machined to fit the R/H slot. And, the axle itself is 3/4", no steps.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel a real need to correct this - Colony is not a Taiwanese company. Their shop is located just down the road from me in Brunswick, Ohio. They employ real U.S.A. people and pay real U.S.A. wages. They make their parts right here in Ohio and use local companies to do their plating. Mark and the rest of the folks there are good people and have helped me out more times than I can remember. Whenever you can, buy parts made in the U.S.A.

Regards,
Geo.
GEO! I went back and looked at the box, it says Colony on it... but the sticker on the box it says "GLOBAL MOTORSPORTS Product of Taiwan"
Then I assume it is not a Colony, but a "Global Motorsports" axle.

Figured it was worth noting that in this thread

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ditto what Irish Rich says.

I thnk Kevin's axle locators make it real easy to put a late disc brake on a rigid frame. Kevin's axle locators also work with stock rigid frame axle adjusters. There is a notch cut out of the locators for the axle adjusters to center on. In this picture the adjusters are not screwed all the way in, but you can see how they work.
Both sides of a stock rigid frame have the same size hole. On one side, the axle is larger at the end to fit the hole. On the other side, there is a axle sleeve that also fits into the brake backing plate.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Here are the V-Twin part numbers to put a 3/4" axle in a rigid frame. The important parts are the axle locators which allow you to use stock rigid frame axle adjusters. The V-Twin axle is threaded at both ends. I included the part number for the acorn nuts.
I make my own spacers so I cannot help you there.

44-0667 axle 12 15/16" long
37-0889 acorn nut set
44-1946 axle locators

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Pusher, sorry about the rant and hijack. I'm sure your correct about the axle being made in Taiwan. Colony doesn't make axles, but they do make some spacers and nuts for them, maybe the source of the confusion. I tend to get a little defensive about U.S. companies that make parts for our motorcycles because there are so few of them. I feel that this globalization b.s. isn't necessary unless the company/corporation is intent on squeezing the last cent of profit possible out of a product. I'm glad you found the part you needed. This is a pretty damn good forum, ain't it? (in spite of some of us cranky old bastards)

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pzokes
thanks for the pics, I see how the the locators work for the softail caliper
the idea of welding in brackets in the "v" of the frame is more attractive to me overall, but chances are it will end up as a tokiko or similar on a bracket at 6 oclock position with a heim joint

VonWegener
The axle I have (from memory right now) was ~11" give or take
It stuck out about 1" too much on the lefthand side
I will be at the shop on Thursday and pick up the 10 13/16 axle kit and bolt it up.. see what happens

old.wrench
no apology necessary it's definitely important to buy American made products whenever possible.
it's one of the last things we got left! Plus I would rather have my USDs go to as many USA craftsmen making parts for my USA made cycle as possible. And I would agree, this forum is damn good

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pusher,
I've used a rear GMA caliper mounted in the 6:00 oclock position, and it was easy to work on. Your Tokico caliper should be easy to work on too. Good luck with your project.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.