Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing a little yard hopping with some buddies of mine I came across the motor. It took a little research to find out what it was. I was wondering if anyone had ever considered using one of these for a custom bike engine.

These motor's are normally used for generators.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Can you pick it up by yourself and set it on a work bench? It looks great right where it is, I'd leave it there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you pick it up by yourself and set it on a work bench? It looks great right where it is, I'd leave it there.
I think I could....but I might need help finding my nuts afterwards..lol
I just thought that it was an interesting engine. I know its the 1st V4 I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Well you would need a hevy frame like a bigtwin, something sim to the V8 60 bikes.......Roach.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Got any idea of its displacement , if big enuff you might get away with no trans ( like V8 60 and boss hoss ) !!

Parts might be a bitch tho !

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
They still sell Wisconsin air cooled 4 cyl engines. Displacements run from 108 to 177 cubic inches. One might make for an interesting power plant in a custom bike or trike. Looks like parts availability is pretty decent, too.

But I don't think I'd start with the one in the picture. Just a guess, but by the time you popped for the missing and rusted parts and the necessary machine work, you'd have more in it than if you bought a decent one used, complete, and running. Or better yet, pick up a piece of equipment with one in it.

I totally agree with Kickstarts. "It looks great right where it is, I'd leave it there."

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have seen plenty of Wisconsin Engines that powered mortar mixers back in my brick laboring days.....some of you may notice the resemblence of joe hunt magnetos to the magnetos on these engines....hmmmm

if that engine powered a cement mixer you may as well leave where you see it because it was most likely run til the rings disintigrated......

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Thats a OHV industy motor by ford, only used in the saab car and on gensets, He is talking about not having ever seen a Flathead V4.

.......Roach.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yeah and the one H-D used was off a John Deer Two Cill tractor!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
The early ones were used on hay balers, and used to seize up sometimes. Probably from all the hay dust cloging the fan. The later ones were installed in Bobcat skid steer loaders. The early ones used Fairbanks-Morse magnitos, and were rope start. The later ones were battery, distributor, electric start. I've started and used both of these models. They were a low RPM motor, probably 3000 RPM's max.

·
Registered
820 Posts
There was also a overhead valve model.
A warning though they are pricey to over haul . Good engines used in every kind of abusive aplaction you can think of. From Ag use to Industry .

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I was a young lad I worked for a construction company that had several of these Wisconsin V 4s powering various pieces of equipment. They have only 2 main bearings(tapered roller). I was the small engine mechanic so I got to rebuild a couple of them. They were very rugged and reliable but also very heavy. The idea of a bike build has popped into my head on more than one occasion. Any bike built around one of these will be large and awkward. The intake and exhaust ports and manifolds are all in the valley between the cylinders so the exhaust comes straight up off the top off the engine. They also made a nice 2 cylinder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts