Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started wiring my Triumph with the layout that everyone has seen on here before the standard negative ground setup. Anyhow, the question is I got all the lights running but I have no brake light and I followed the diagram to the core. I swapped the wires on the switch and still nothing. Am I missing something? I haven't checked to see if it is a dual filament bulb but the taillight is brand new (that old style Lucas setup). Maybe a crappy switch? Anyone else ran into this?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
bad ground, bad bulb, or maybe 12v bulb in a 6vt system? althought that wuold light up very faintly

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Naw, it's all new 12v system, I am sitting at work thinking about it and just thought I would throw out this question. It lights up really bright which makes me wonder if it is the switch or perhaps the wrong bulb. Shouldn't I just be able to disconnect the brake switch and connect/disconnect the wires to test if it is the switch?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Having the same problem! Switch appears to be good, I have new components, checked to make sure the light was actually working with a different bulb... you must have followed my diagram huh? :)

I have yet to search for my problem, but I suspect I have a grounding issue or a short somewhere else. I hate electrons!!! I hate problems I can't SEE!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well from what I can tell, you need no ground (the chassis act as the ground) and both wires ran are the "hot" for the 2 filaments of the bulb. Now here is where I get lost, if I disconnect the switch there is no change, if I swap the wires at the tail light there is no change. And it seems that one of the filaments would have to not be as bright. I mean that is how a cars back lamps work... er... well at least I think that is it's been a awhile.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
asillymick said:
Well from what I can tell, you need no ground (the chassis act as the ground) and both wires ran are the "hot" for the 2 filaments of the bulb. Now here is where I get lost, if I disconnect the switch there is no change, if I swap the wires at the tail light there is no change. And it seems that one of the filaments would have to not be as bright. I mean that is how a cars back lamps work... er... well at least I think that is it's been a awhile.
Yeah, I think I have a bad chassis ground at the headlight bucket on mine (Model A light), also mine has two seperate bulbs, not a dual filament like yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts