Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely re-wiring my 72 OIF 650 Tiger (because the previous owner decided to remove the harness) and before I risk frying my new Podtronics Regulator, I want to be sure I've got everything hooked up correctly.

I've looked at all the wiring diagrams posted (even the bad ones) and none can be perfect, so here's my question.

Points wires: B/W going to Neg. terminal on Left Coil and B/Y going to Neg. terminal on Right Coil (don't think it matters which coil)

Coils: Left Coil Pos. terminal to Right Coil Pos. terminal

Condensors: Neg. terminals of both Coils to their respective condensor and condensors to ground

Podtronics Rectifier: G/B & W/G stator wires to rectifier's yellow wires, red (+12v) to frame, black (-12v) to ignition switch (but which terminal? accessory?)

Battery: Positive Ground to frame, Neg. terminal to ignition switch (again, which terminal, accessory?)

As the bike was wired, the ignition switch was wired to the Left Coil's Pos Terminal.

Does all this sound correct?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nope, you're pretty close, but positive side of coils goes to points and condensers Which goes to earth. Don't feed your accessory system with the podtronics, you may not be able to shut off the bike if she is getting enough feed from the alternator.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure, even with a Positive Ground?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just a question but why go pos ground?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just because the wiring diagram had it that way, nothing is set in stone

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now one more question, how do I power the coils from the battery?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the coils get power from ignition (IGN) terminal on the ignition switch, it should be hot only when the key is on.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm not sure if you are powering the whole bike, or just setting up for test purposes. If you are just testing with aligator clips and jumper wires, put the positive clip to the frame and the negative directly to the negative posts on the coils...if this gives you spark, that means everything on the ignition side is OK. If you're going to power up the whole machine put the negative clip to the single terminal on the ignition switch like Tony said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts