Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im about to start the wiring on my triumph. im just wondering what i should start out with as far as supplies. should i go with 14ga? what colors are best to use to keep track of things? any recommendation on connectors & heat shrink? what are you guys using for conduit?

any advice is much appriciated. ;)

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
10 to 14 ga. from battery+ to fuse/distribution block is good.

I try to use a separate fuse or circuit breaker for the lights and ignition.

14 or 16 ga. to headlight, taillight and ignition is fine.

the softer more pliable and more stranded wire the better.

I solder and heatshrink anywhere I have to join two or more wires. a good rule of thumb is to use uninterupted contiguous wires from point to point. try not to use splice/butt connectors or scotch locks anywhere. thats where a little planning won't leave you short.

where you terminate your wires use good quality insulated-crimp or uninsulated solder lugs with heat shrink. Make sure they are the appropriate gauge to suit the wires.

-Tom

·
Registered
200 Posts
sojerscraper said:
hey guys, im about to start the wiring on my triumph. im just wondering what i should start out with as far as supplies. should i go with 14ga? what colors are best to use to keep track of things? any recommendation on connectors & heat shrink? what are you guys using for conduit?

any advice is much appriciated. ;)
joe,

14 ga is good for almost everything.

do not use the cheesy insulated crimp connectors. they make a bad connection that will corrode over time, generate a lot of heat, possibly fail, and make a bad connection at the least.

instead, use non-insulated crimp connectors. crimp, solder, then shrink wrap. for shrink wrap, i like to get the polyolefin (spelling could be wrong) 3:1 ratio adhesive lined stuff. mcmaster carr sells it as well as the non-insulated connectors. if you get stuck with the insulated ones from home depot or pep boys, you can pull the insulation off.

are you running a battery? what coil setup? do you have a boyer/miti-max?

when are you planning to wire the bike? i like wiring. i could probably stop by some night this week and bring you some materials and get you started. i also have this neat cloth loom similar to the stuff in old cars.

hope this helps,
ed

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys, thanks for the info.

im running a tempanium regulator rectifier, a 70's style sportster dual lead coil, battery, etc. ive been told since im using the original stator & points i have to run it pos. ground & i have a wiring diagram.

ed - ill probably be starting the wiring thursday night or maybe early next week. id be more than glad to have your help. im sure its not rocket science but id rather learn from you than my own mistakes while frying all my electricals trying to figure it out on my own. id dig using the cloth style conduit. a good length of it came with the 37 ford tail light i bought & it looks pretty nice.

i got a decent soldering iron & solder for my B-day. mom knew the wiring was next on the bike so she hooked me up, haha. im also picking up a new test light since my old one blew up somehow.

ill see what i can get this week, i talked to our boys at napa & kev said he can get whatever i need.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
burger said:
i also have this neat cloth loom similar to the stuff in old cars.

hope this helps,
ed
hey! i've been lookin' for that stuff. where didja get it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
joe:

i can probably come by thursday night after the kids are in bed.

is the "somehow" your test light blew up named drew?

beatcad:

you can get the cloth loom thru a lot of old ford parts places. i got mine thru streamline in denver, co. i remember it being about $20 to get enough to do my hot rod with a lot left over.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha, no ed. my light blew up because it was crushed by a bunch of other tools in my box. actually, drew has been working pretty hard on the honda. im pretty impressed so far. i give him the tough love routine. when he crys & whines he needs help i yell "just look in your book!" its been pretty fun with us both working down there. yesterday he tore his whole bike down to the frame with very little help. last week he finished rebuilding both carbs & took apart his fork. i gave him the idea of painting his frame white to match the racing stripes that are on his cafe body parts. i think the bike will look pretty sick when its done. he is stoked on the idea that he is actually building his own bike. i think he finally gets the "pride" factor once you build your own stuff & it actually comes together nicely.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You'd think this would go without saying, but I screwed it up on my last build and it caused me fits....

make sure you grind the powdercoat off all engine brackets and frame to engine mounting points to ensure a solid grounding effect. I left some paint behind and my bike's electrical system required some roadside ground wire routing to get a solid connection. just a word to the wise...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts