Jockey Journal Forum banner

wiring......goddammit...

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ryno 
#1 ·
Let me preface this by saying i'm retarded when it comes to electrical shit.
It reminds me of math and i don't like math.

So...
I recently got some new hand controls for my scoot.
It's a 91 FXR.
It had the factory controls on it, but since the bike doesn't have blinkers or a horn, i figured i would clean it up, ditch all the buttons, run my starter wires back down to a *new* ignition module which has OFF/ON/ and turn to START.

Pulled the tank and its just a jumble of wires and harnesses and electrical tape underneath. I know half the shit isn't powered, but its still hooked up, then some of it is cut/spliced/taped etc...
Looks like the previous owner did some "customizing" and instead of cleaning it up or removing unecessary stuff, he just taped it all down.

I've stood and looked at it for 2 hours now trying to figure out what the hell to do, hoping that the wires would just start moving around like little snakes and connecting themselves to their appropriate location. It hasn't happened yet. But i haven't started drinking yet either, so there's still a chance.

I'm trying to simplify, and i know its not that difficult, but it sure is intimidating.

Is there a good resource on the web that might help me figure some shit out? The manuals wiring diagram looks like swahili to me, and i'm not sure how much of it applies since most of the shit is hacked already.

Any suggestions? I can probably take a bunch of pics and post em, but i don't know if thats gonna do any good.
If it sounds like i'm over my head...I AM!!! Hahaha...
What can i expect to pay for someone to hook the shit up for me?

Thanks in advance...sorry for the noob-ness.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ryno said:
Let me preface this by saying i'm retarded when it comes to electrical shit.
It reminds me of math and i don't like math.

So...
I recently got some new hand controls for my scoot.
It's a 91 FXR.
It had the factory controls on it, but since the bike doesn't have blinkers or a horn, i figured i would clean it up, ditch all the buttons, run my starter wires back down to a *new* ignition module which has OFF/ON/ and turn to START.

Pulled the tank and its just a jumble of wires and harnesses and electrical tape underneath. I know half the shit isn't powered, but its still hooked up, then some of it is cut/spliced/taped etc...
Looks like the previous owner did some "customizing" and instead of cleaning it up or removing unecessary stuff, he just taped it all down.

I've stood and looked at it for 2 hours now trying to figure out what the hell to do, hoping that the wires would just start moving around like little snakes and connecting themselves to their appropriate location. It hasn't happened yet. But i haven't started drinking yet either, so there's still a chance.

I'm trying to simplify, and i know its not that difficult, but it sure is intimidating.

Is there a good resource on the web that might help me figure some shit out? The manuals wiring diagram looks like swahili to me, and i'm not sure how much of it applies since most of the shit is hacked already.

Any suggestions? I can probably take a bunch of pics and post em, but i don't know if thats gonna do any good.
If it sounds like i'm over my head...I AM!!! Hahaha...
What can i expect to pay for someone to hook the shit up for me?

Thanks in advance...sorry for the noob-ness.
for me....it's easier to build a new harness, than repair someone elses work.......start by drawing your own diagram....just draw each component {headlight,taillight,ignition switch,brake light, ignition and charging...etc)..and attach the wires on paper before you start on the bike....post the drawing and we will help you sort it out.....just remember...simple is better.

#3 ·
Just like you I hate electrical too! I think we all do. I would first go in and firgure out whats needed and rip the rest out. Less things to look at once you start reconnecting what you need. I'd also suggest getting a multi tester for testing conductivity. Make sure your not pulling anything you need! Other then that maybe get a hold of a wiring diagram for that make and model from your maker of the bike or online just do a google search for your bikes wiring. Good luck man. I feel your pain!

#4 ·
Right on...
I think things are starting to make sense...
I've had a couple margaritas, (by the beach), and a beer or two, and things are already making sense. I'm going back through everything and figuring out what needs to be there and what doesn't.
If i can't get it started i will be back here trying to find answers.
Thanks for the help peoples...
If there is someone with some wicked wiring experience, throw t he shit up on here and i will be forever greatful.
Muchas gracias!
There is shit here that is disconnected on both ends...hahaha...
I will win this one...
Yes, i will...

chicoman7 said:
Just like you I hate electrical too! I think we all do. I would first go in and firgure out whats needed and rip the rest out. Less things to look at once you start reconnecting what you need. I'd also suggest getting a multi tester for testing conductivity. Make sure your not pulling anything you need! Other then that maybe get a hold of a wiring diagram for that make and model from your maker of the bike or online just do a google search for your bikes wiring. Good luck man. I feel your pain!

#5 ·
So i got it running, everything relocated and the only thing that didn't work was the tach. Which is funny because i never touched any wires to that thing.
Go figure...
What a nightmare though...
Someone before me did quite a hack job. Made it easier to find some stuff and almost impossible to trace down other stuff.
I'm thinking about gettting another wiring harness and trimming it all down nice and tight, then replacing the one thats in there.

Oh yeah...and after that last post about the margaritas and beers, i had a couple more, went back in to the garage and fell off the stool.
I put the wire cutters down right then and there...

Thanks for...well, thanks for listening and the motivation.
Right on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.