Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a good source for wire harness connectors? I'm extending the wires on my '79 FX and running them through the bars. I'd like to put a connector between where the harnesses exit the bars and enter the back of the head light. That way I can take the bars or headlight off separately without having to take them both off.

The wiring harnesses (one for each side of the bars) both have 7 wires so I could use two 7-wire connectors or one 14-wire connector. I found some at Fry's and Radioshack but they are kinda stupid looking. I've tried doing some searches online but there are so many results it's hard to sift through.

Anybody have any leads on where I could find some good, weather resistant connectors on a budget?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
To me, the fewer splices and connections, the better. There's a couple tools you can get, and with practice, you can pull the wire ends out of the plastic plugs pretty quickly. I've also hole-sawed a Lucas sized hole in the lower rear of a headlight and used a Triumph/BSA grommet. The HD plugs will fit through this sized hole.

And, when I've needed plugs and connectors, I get them at the Harley Dealer. You do have to have a parts guy you can work with though.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Short of finding a 7 pin plug, I would consider using barrel connectors. If you do, as with all connections, use dielectric silicone, to keep them from corroding, and easier to pull apart. Plus, you could put them in the headlight, and still get them through the hole. They are cheap, and easily replaceable if one does pull off the wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.