Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to thank dmar836 for sending me this link, Great guy!

Well heres another Board Track Racer.
This project has been in the making for about 3 years now, I've had to take some time off from it at the momment for other obligations.

Time is running out for the "Winter Project" so.......take a look!

Life started out as a back half of a Pre War bicycle, it had the lines that I was looking for. Most of the early bicycles had a straight forward simple apperance. I had just the frame.

Next was to position the front end, its about a mile away from the back wheel. Actually 55", the wheels are Worksman 26" with drum brakes. The front forks are off a 1950's Monark bicycle, this was not a practical application for a Board Track Racer, but I like 'em

Heres what it looks like with the motor set up for fitting.
I'm using a 100cc Lifan with a manual 4 speed. The handlebars are for mock up, they will change in up comming photos.

The top tube is installed, I'm using 1" DOM for the rest of the frame.

Bare bones rolling chassis.....

Heres a number of pictures to show how it has progressed.

more pictures to follow........soon!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think its cool and look forward to following the build!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Amazing - I used to think I built some wacky stuff.. but these boardtrackers are crazy!! Good luck dude... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heres a couple of shots of how the gas tank went together.
The brass in this picture cost me a total of $4.00 from the local scrap yard

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is not the best picture, but I wanted to post it anyway.
The brass choke lever housing is from an old floor lamp, the ends are garden hose fittings, and the next time you pull up the stopper on your bathroom sink, you'll think of my chrome handle.

This is the assembly on the bike, the copper line houses the choke cable. The other line with the sight glass is only to support the uppper line. (note: the electrical tape is for fitting only)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is what the bike looks like as of today, I still have along way to go before its done. The tank is only tacked up, it still needs quite a bit of work to finish. I also have to go back over some welds on the frame, I wanted to get everthing lined up first, I figure once I pull this whole mess back apart for painting, I'll take care of it then.
I hope the wheather is not too bad Sunday, I'd like to get it off the stand for one final picture(s) to post.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I was hoping for a little sunshine today to get some last pictures for the Winter Project. The weather man said partly sunny today? This is Northeast Ohio for you.

So...........heres some more detail pictures.
This is the coil housing made up in the shape of an old Magneto,
the cover is hammered copper. The toggle is the kill switch.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This is too cool... you guys are making me want to build one of these.

·
Registered
978 Posts
This is too cool... you guys are making me want to build one of these.
Yea...me too! (but not like I've got TOO many projects going already!)
Wonderful workmanship here. I love the copper lines everywhere, and the profile is perfect! Are you gonna do any tricks to the mil to make it "look" older and period correct??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As far as the motor I would like to blast the Head down to the bare casting, I might consider doing the same for the side cases as well, not to worried about that for now. By the time this is all done I might just decide to give it that unrestored look.
I'll dig up a photo and post it later,....gotta run! Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These are the last post for the "Winter Project"
I finally had a break in the weather to get this on the ground for the first time since it was just a rolling chassis.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts