Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys quick question Im a noob&I tinker with cars mostly &on all mt body work I have a gasless flux core welder.I finally gor my project bike running awhilw back&wanr to hardtail it myself its a 74 aermacchi/harley sprint 350.I have a guy who will do it if I pay him but Id like tovdo it myself so I can be prouder of it.Ive used the flux core welder to make some handle bars&weld a cracked swingarm but not sure if it'll be safe?Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
220v or 110v? If it is 110v I'd say no. At least not on something I'd be betting my balls on. I can understand the pride taken in doing it yourself but the old saying "Pride cometh before the fall" might be applicable here.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
220v or 110v? If it is 110v I'd say no. At least not on something I'd be betting my balls on. I can understand the pride taken in doing it yourself but the old saying "Pride cometh before the fall" might be applicable here.
Its 110..yeah thinking maybe I should have him do it or...buy a diffrent welder not sure.I just did a search on google&saw someone said to tac it all around&grind tac&grind.&not to run a bead on the hardtail because of warping.That dosnt sound right to me.But like I said Im a noob.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I did a number of suspension swaps on F-100 Fords (Volare K members). I used my old Hobart 110 and ran NR211 flux core wire. It ran hot enough to get full penetration. None of them ever failed, that I am aware of. I am a certified welder, so my skills may be a bit better than yours, but, done properly, 110V flux core is fine. Frame tubing is thin and you would never crank up a 220V unit anywhere near the maximum amperage of your 110V unit to weld light material like that.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a number of suspension swaps on F-100 Fords (Volare K members). I used my old Hobart 110 and ran NR211 flux core wire. It ran hot enough to get full penetration. None of them ever failed, that I am aware of. I am a certified welder, so my skills may be a bit better than yours, but, done properly, 110V flux core is fine. Frame tubing is thin and you would never crank up a 220V unit anywhere near the maximum amperage of your 110V unit to weld light material like that.
Im looking for a 79 f series now.Thanks for the info...what blows is my grandpa used to build bikes for a living&had tons of stuff in mags etc but I was still wet around my ears when he was doing it to learn much&my old man went to school for welding&did it for years but hes pretty banged up&cant get around much he died once&said he cant remember much.So Im reading all I can.Just hit a score found a tube full of old bsa dealer posters gpa had in his shop :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
you should probably not use a gasless flux core for the hardtail
in the hands of an experienced welder it probably could get by but I wouldnt chance it

to be honest I wouldnt really trust anything for a frame etc. unless it was tig welded
I know mig welding can be done properly and is strong but you just dont get that great consistently with a mig as you do with a tig

if you cant tig I would maybe tack everything up nice and good with your fluxcore and bring it to someone that can tig weld

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have recently taken a course at a local comm. college and highly recommend it. Even with that, and now some serious time under the hood with "real welders" I would agree with everything mentioned above. Tack it, send it out AND ask the welder if you can watch and check out his gear.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
..........to be honest I wouldnt really trust anything for a frame etc. unless it was tig welded
I've seen lots of hardtails stick welded. Folks used to gas weld racing frames too.
Paughco frames are MIG welded now days.
Lots of options, but you need to know what you're doing.
I just looked at my Lincoln 110 mig. It says .250+ with flux core wire. I wouldn't do it (see my "know what you're doing" statement), but the machine is capable.
Larry T

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
to be honest I wouldnt really trust anything for a frame etc. unless it was tig welded
I know mig welding can be done properly and is strong but you just dont get that great consistently with a mig as you do with a tig
NASCAR requires it's chassis to be MIG, and not TIG welded. They require this because unlike with MIG welding, it's far easier to make a very pretty TIG weld that's unsound than it is with a MIG, and they don't have time to Xray everyone's welds.

·
Registered
354 Posts
NASCAR requires it's chassis to be MIG, and not TIG welded. They require this because unlike with MIG welding, it's far easier to make a very pretty TIG weld that's unsound than it is with a MIG, and they don't have time to Xray everyone's welds.
I am sure you are correct but-
In my experience I have found exactly the opposite to be true.

Also, if you tack it with flux core and bring it to someone to TIG it. Flux really fucks with the puddle, he/she prolly won't be happy.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whoa you guys rock,thanks for all of the info.Im gonna go ahead&tac it&have some one tig it I guess since that seems to be what most agree on.So I dont end up walking funnt how much should I look @paing for that?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been hobby welding for 35 years never had a important weld fail. Ask questions read books and DO IT you will never do a good weld without practice. frames have been brazed, gas welded, stick welded, mig and tig weld for years and good welds on frames don't fail. Grab your Balls practice a little and weld your frame or be a pussy sell your welder and pay someone to do it like a girly NOB would do. My 2 cents, now I'll stand back (have I lit the fire). Better get a electric starter and trike wheels for that bike (it could be dangerous)

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been hobby welding for 35 years never had a important weld fail. Ask questions read books and DO IT you will never do a good weld without practice. frames have been brazed, gas welded, stick welded, mig and tig weld for years and good welds on frames don't fail. Grab your Balls practice a little and weld your frame or be a pussy sell your welder and pay someone to do it like a girly NOB would do. My 2 cents, now I'll stand back (have I lit the fire). Better get a electric starter and trike wheels for that bike (it could be dangerous)
But it already has an electric starter :) Well guess I need to do some reading before I decide then.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Grab your Balls practice a little and weld your frame or be a pussy sell your welder and pay someone to do it like a girly NOB would do. My 2 cents, now I'll stand back (have I lit the fire). Better get a electric starter and trike wheels for that bike (it could be dangerous)
Yea!!
Learn how to weld...................on your frame
The potential of catastophic weld failures on frames is a good way to learn. Ask this guy

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.