Jockey Journal Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from a family of motorcyclists. My father rides and my younger brother rides, my mom is learning. Well, I always liked the looks of bikes but was a bit nervous of them. I used to take my dad's big cruiser around the yard, but it intimidated me, then my brother got his bike and it looked a bit more manageable. Finally, we got a little Honda Scrambler and it's a dream to ride. I've been practicing every day and I absolutely love the wind in my face and the feeling of controlling a vehicle that you ride on rather than in.

Unfortunately, today I laid the bike down in the driveway while practicing. No sweat, I didn't even stall it or tear my jeans, but I skinned my knee and made the mistake of letting my wife see the wound. She got real quiet for a moment and said "You know, it worries me to think about you riding. I don't like it at all." Now, she didn't actually say that she wants me to quit learning, but it sounds like it's heading that way.

I don't want this to become a fight! I love riding and I don't want to quit. Heck, her interest in bikes is what got me to try riding again, but then my mom had an accident on the bike, which scared her off and now she's going to try to keep me from it. I really respect my wife and I don't want to be insensitive, because I know riding has inherent risks and I respect that, but I also don't want her to freak out any time I go for a ride now.

Any advice?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Walk it off, soldier!!

Ha Ha...riding a bike has it's risks, but what fun would it be if it didn't??

Like learning to bomb steep hills on a skateboard at age 37...don't let a few bumps and bruises and the comments of those around ya keep you from that Rush!!

(Just don't read my book when it comes out...or, don't let your WIFE read it!!)

Anyway...keep at it. Tell the wife you can get just as hurt or just as dead in a Volvo...life HAS risks...keeps it INTERESTING!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eric123 said:
UM...gents I think he is serious...dude grow some balls and don't ever make a post like that again...please...
This is the kind of reply I expected, but the fact is, that the wife means more to me than any stupid machine and if I'm forced to choose, goodbye bikes. She loves cars and they're my first love. I'm just hoping that amongst all the macho bullshit, I find some useful advice.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
A few weeks ago I lowsided at 35-40MPH. Told the wife and that was that. Fn ride!

Gotta go take out the trash now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
c`mon fellas.......go easy on him......after all,if he`s in divorce court,there goes the bike........how man dudes you know had to sell the bike during divorce?.....and if he has kids,well,there goes any and all extra money for a bike to the "child support" bureau...........bye-bye motorcycle money

my advice:

1) practice where yer wife can`t see and never show her any more injuries.....if yer limpin,blame it on a work accident and she won`t dare say she wants you to quit working....problem solved

2)take an ABATE rider course....you`d be surprised even if you`re a veteran rider how much shit you learn........and your wife will feel safer knowing that you are taking a CERTIFIED motorcycle safety course

3)if there`s no helmet law where you live,wear one anyway and as soon as you round the next turn out of her sight,take it back off if you so please.....wear protective clothing......do whatever you gotta do so that she doesn`t have to sit and worry her ass off........how would you guys feel knowing your honey pot on two legs is out learning to ride a cycle?.....bet you`d be worried bout yer hottie just the same

4) keep her involved......ask her to take the ABATE course as well......or just take her to see what it`s all about...when she sees how professional it really is,her mind will ease a bit

5) stop wrecking the fucking bike........besides your own health,her nerves are at risk as is her sanity,peace of mind,etc. .........and we all know an unhappy woman makes a man TWICE as unhappy.......when you learn to ride,act as if you`re gonna DIE if you fuck up......because YOU CAN...so quit fuckin around

now you`ll get the typical "Fuck her" answers........but yer right about the hassle...........who needs it?........so stop creating one by wrecking the fuckin bike...........

now most women won`t give you an ultimatum "the bike or me".......I`ve seen it happen many times but when you stick to your guns (and quit wrecking the fuckin bike),she`ll probably let up on yer sack and maybe even want to ride with you......you can start by NOT WRECKIN THE FUCKIN BIKE.......dammit

·
Registered
181 Posts
man, do what I did, mine likes the idea of bikes but after seeing me walk with a cane for two years after I got hit on one, she wasn't too excited when I bought the last one(cause it actually runs instead of taking up space in the garage) so i bought her one of her own. It's not my fault it's in a few egg crates. HAHA! anyways, if it's in yer blood, you'll figure it out on yer own. if she LOVES you, she'll deal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
yeah, you need to act the opposite of a husband if you want to ride the bike.

chicks love bad-boys.... act like you don't give a shit and she'll be more attracted to you.

do you guys have kids? maybe that is a responsibility that she's worried about.

a buddy of mine has to live with the fact that he dropped by his friends house and talked him into going for a motorcycle ride with him. so he dragged him away from the wifey and kids and unfortunately that day a rig jack-knifed and killed the friend. he died in my buddies arms and my buddy had to go tell his wife.

i'm amazed Jack (my buddy) lets me ride. but he's oldschool about living free and making your own choices and mistakes.

just pray man.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hahaha turn the tables dude! she's trying to make you feel guilty about riding, so just make her feel guilty about bitching! Exampe: " I think you're being very selfish, if you really loved me you woulndn't make me choose"

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
I'm serious about staying alive.....You should fall down in your yard, driveway, field, or woods a bunch of times before you hit the streets. You will know the pain that grass and dirt can cause....and pavement is much worse, so your mind will focus on NOT crashing on the street. It's all about the learning curve....some pain is good for the process. Tell the wife this and let her know it's important. Only YOU will know when you are readyto ride. And if you ever have doubts about your skills....don't ride.

NOBODY should EVER attempt street riding without some serious off-road experience. I cringe when I hear about new riders with no experience hitting the roads for some good times with their friends....many die....needlessly.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
Ed said:
A few weeks ago I lowsided at 35-40MPH. Told the wife and that was that. Fn ride!

Gotta go take out the trash now.
ha! first thing i said when ed told me he wrecked was
"you didnt tell the old lady did you?...just put it under the cover and dont say anything!"

like others said the MSF course if you are just learning and if its in you to ride you will find a way, she will just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, the rule of marriage is "if you can afford one, you can afford two..." So, I am in the "get her involved" camp. Have her take the class with you (and don't be an idiot and get on the road without taking some kind of course)

My wife wasn't against riding (her dad was a harley guy and she rode on the back of my bike from Houston to Sturgis for our honeymoon... but the story still rings true). I had my wife take a course after we were married, and then suprised her with a bike that fit her.

She rode that little bike from Houston to Daytona for bike week and now we share the love...

(for the record though... I wouldn't stop riding for anyone... but I am kind of an asshole like that...)

M

www.ArtBiker.com

·
Registered
630 Posts
The concept of someone telling me not to ride is so foreign to me that I'm probably not qualified to respond, but here goes -

1 - take the MSF course
2 - wear proper safety equipment
3 - grow a set

And if your wife means so much to you, you should probably be having this conversation with her instead of a bunch of virtually anonymous a-holes on the internet.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.