Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cant seem to find the make of these cases, I was told the numbers (BAKE012593) with stars stamped next to them were pre 1980 but the motor is supposed to be an 84. I figure they are replacement cases. The BOS i have actually has these numbers BAK38EEY012593. Anybody have a clue?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Are there any numbers on the front right side case? They're on the top near the front lifter block.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dealer replacement cases, I have seen a set like that. But the stars were on the vin pad on left case. I believe they did it to state that they are replacement harley cases installed by a dealer. But I may be all wrong.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The VIN code on an '84 model would follow the traditional 1HD 17 digit VIN, which started in 1981. Prior to that (1970-1980...all other cone motors), they started out with the model designation #A, then five digits, then A# date code.

Dumbass me, the full VIN wasn't stamped on post-81 motors though, it was the last digits of the VIN.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
the numbers with the stars are corect for 84, and the four stars on the R case are so no one could stamp there own numbers in them... anti theft.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My bad, you would think that all this time on earth, I would have my right and left figured out. O well, I knew that just said the the wrong hand.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys. I did get hold of the original owner and he gave me the rundown. Al looks legit. I got the whole VIN and ran it. Came up as an 84 FXE and the VIN was very similar to the engine case numbers. I've just never seen the stars before. I was also under the impression that the motor and frame shared the same numbers but I was wrong.

I called MoCo before I talked to the old owner and even they were stumped, so I was a little concerned. All looks good though. I scored an 84 shovel for peanuts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts