Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old wide glide front end on a bike I'm building...... When I got it, it had 4" over stock tubes. I recently put 2" under stock tubes on.

Here's the question: I had a hell of a time screwing the tube caps back on - because of the pressure\resistance fromthe spring. I really had to jam hard to get everything buttoned up. Is this ok? Am I supposed to use shorter springs? Is the ride gonna suck now since the springs are so compressed?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
798 Posts
did you leave in the spring for the 4" over springs? if you did then that might be an issue, like shoving a size 9 foot in a size 6 shoe.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Abe_Lugo said:
did you leave in the spring for the 4" over springs? if you did then that might be an issue, like shoving a size 9 foot in a size 6 shoe.
+1..

Were there any spacers in there or just springs? You may be able to pull some out of a stock set of tubes and would be fine and even have some pre-load to them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, should have mentioned originally..... There were 4 " spacers inside the 4" over-stock tubes. So I basically just squeezed stock springs into 2" under-stock tubes.......:rolleyes:

mercman55 said:
I have an old wide glide front end on a bike I'm building...... When I got it, it had 4" over stock tubes. I recently put 2" under stock tubes on.

Here's the question: I had a hell of a time screwing the tube caps back on - because of the pressure\resistance fromthe spring. I really had to jam hard to get everything buttoned up. Is this ok? Am I supposed to use shorter springs? Is the ride gonna suck now since the springs are so compressed?

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
mercman55 said:
Sorry, should have mentioned originally..... There were 4 " spacers inside the 4" over-stock tubes. So I basically just squeezed stock springs into 2" under-stock tubes.......:rolleyes:
You are probably gonna have to buy shorter springs, I think White Brothers sells them. If you have the stock length spring, it looks to me like the forks will either set at stock height or they will be topped out. Not a good situation if the forks slam solid every time you hit a bump and the front end rebounds.
I guess you could try to cut the springs, but I've never seen it done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts