Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting my front end up for a spool wheel and am curious why one can't buy a spool for a 3/4 axle? Isn't a 3/4 axle what wide glides, narrow glides, etc. have used for a long time?

Turning down the axle and building spacers is no big deal, but this is kind of weird. V-twin parts mfg., JP Cycles, everybody only sells 5/8 spools.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Tony Bones said:
I'm setting my front end up for a spool wheel and am curious why one can't buy a spool for a 3/4 axle? Isn't a 3/4 axle what wide glides, narrow glides, etc. have used for a long time?

Turning down the axle and building spacers is no big deal, but this is kind of weird. V-twin parts mfg., JP Cycles, everybody only sells 5/8 spools.
Who cares, just buy 3/4" bearings for it.

-Jason

·
Registered
917 Posts
Tony Bones said:
QUOTE]

Yes.
But those are all set up for brakes, where you would want as big an axle as possible.
Get some different bearings and let it roll!
G.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
McMaster Carr has your bearings. Just measure the O.D. of the bearing, figure out your RPM and load rating.... vwa-la! Shouldn't cost you anymore than about $15-$20 for the bearings. I did this with a mini-brake wheel and it turned out fine.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G Griffin said:
Yes.
But those are all set up for brakes, where you would want as big an axle as possible.
Get some different bearings and let it roll!
G.
I didn't word the question well. What I'm wondering is:

What had a 5/8 axle that prompted the designers of spools to make them for it?

Buying larger bearings is easy, but since the lathe will be fired up to make the needed spacers to center the wheel, I might as well turn down the axle anyway.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Tony Bones said:
Buying larger bearings is easy, but since the lathe will be fired up to make the needed spacers to center the wheel, I might as well turn down the axle anyway.
Just a thought, are axles hardened? If so, you'll have to harden it all over again. My vote is for the bearing exchange and make the spacers and bearing distance tube accordingly. Why go smaller when you can go bigger? Plus, if for any reason you wanted to replace the axle you wouldn't have to go through all that again...

Just my $.02. No offense intended. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
You need a certain minimum difference between the inner and outer diameter of a bearing. I searched hard, but couldn't find any bearings with a 3/4" inner diameter that would fit in the hub, so I had to bring my axle down to 17mm and put in some standard SKF bearings.
A bigger spool hub would have helped in that respect, but I like them small.

I'm not sure, but I don't think an axle is surface treated - you need strength and not hardness.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Some cat with a shop name Black Bike in California makes 3/4 spools, it wont help you if you already got your lathe fired up (you must already have a 5/8) but for future jobs you might check this guy out, last i talked to him, he was starting to build some of the old styles, smooth, peaked, and a two and three rib I thought.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've spoken w/ five bearing houses, along w/ McMaster Carr. The only company that makes a 5/8 ID, 1 9/16 OD bearing is Consolidated, but none of the bearing houses or McMaster rep. their stuff.

Anyone know who rep.'s Consolidated?

I have no concerns about the strength of a turned down axle, but am on one of my ridiculous 'I must find it because I can't' searches now. FUCK, I got sucked in again.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
NICE! That's a non-standard bearing size from hell! That O.D. is really unusual. If you can't get it there is a hundred places that carry great quality 1-3/8 OD with a 5/8" bore and you could make a very small shim... bitch to turn though. The wall thickness would only be .0937.

Let us know what you find out. I have tons of bearing catalogs, but none have that size and I would like to have a Consolidate catalog now that I know they have weird stuff.

Keep us posted!
Tony Bones said:
I've spoken w/ five bearing houses, along w/ McMaster Carr. The only company that makes a 5/8 ID, 1 9/16 OD bearing is Consolidated, but none of the bearing houses or McMaster rep. their stuff.

I have no concerns about the strength of a turned down axle, but am on one of my ridiculous 'I must find it because I can't' searches now. FUCK, I got sucked in again.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
One of these people should be able to help you:

http://www.consbrgs.com/html/warehouses.html

Tony Bones said:

·
Registered
52 Posts
think it comes from the 45 springer days theys 5/8 and were plenty of chops using them, sixtys and seventys, have a set of bearings that you need, but there beat, I just saved them for the part # timken I believe, brown bearing didn't have?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Tony Bones said:

Of course you can...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-21-Rim-SPOOL-for-3-4-Stock-Axle-WHEEL-40-Spoke_W0QQitemZ4596795190QQcategoryZ35578QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
257 Posts
speednazi said:
think it comes from the 45 springer days theys 5/8 and were plenty of chops using them, sixtys and seventys, have a set of bearings that you need, but there beat, I just saved them for the part # timken I believe, brown bearing didn't have?
That is what I wanted to say back in the day all you had to do was drill out one side of springer rocker to 5/8 the other side was already to size.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Tony Bones said:
Good to know for future. I have my bastard child size already, so I'll have to work w/ it.
I am actually doing the bearing 5/8 to 3/4 swap with my students in class this week. I am taking lots of pics and will post the process from start to finish shortly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts