Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting an RE big twin next spring but would like some sage advice from someone who's run one before. My bikes need to be runners as I use them for all sorts of things, like touring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to work for a guy who sold those.The Enfield twins are great fun but typically period brit-IE satanically unreliable.I recall a 750 interceptor that was in and out of our shop 4 times in about a 2 week period for clutch,electrical and carb trouble.It was less than 1 year old at the time.I believe if I was going to tour on a Brit I would find a unit Triumph(real Triumph,not the current ones)they were common and you will have a better chance finding pieces for them out on the road.

·
Registered
935 Posts
if you get one youll need to be the expert.cool bikes but should have a substantial mechanical aptitude if youre gonna tour

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've got a '56 700 Super Meteor. After I got everything tuned (first kicker!), the only re-occuring problem was my clutch cable needing constant adjustment. I fixed that with some Loctite and another jam nut.

Seriously, my bike is super reliable now. I wouldn't worry riding long distances on it now. I tore mine down to the frame for fresh paint, high-comp pistons, some breather modifications, and a sealed bearing in my gearbox to fix a bad leak. I can't wait to get the bike back together and back on the road with it.

Nothing cooler than hearing someone say "...a what? What's a Royal Enfield?"
Or

"..oh yeah, I've heard of those."

Me: "Bullshit. No you haven't."

EDIT: REs aren't known for their speed, so some mods will need to be done to a 700, unless you get an Interceptor. The last generation Inters are best. Get this book (good fap fodder):

and check out THIS FORUM. There's an aussie gent named "Norm" who is an absolute guru when it comes to Reddich and Indian made Enfields, singles and twins.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greasepit, any thoughts on the one piece barrel from Hitchcocks?
As for speed, I ain't too worried. If it will keep up to a 350 Aermacchi Harley, I'm happy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
A one piece barrel? I don't understand what you mean.

These are standard twin barrels (Meteor Minor, Super Meteor, Connie, Interceptor..etc) and are all two piece (supposed to ensure more efficient cooling).

·
Registered
346 Posts
To be honest i think joe lucas is to blame for a lot of the reliability issues with british bikes , fit an electronic ignition , alton replacement dynamo, solid state rectifier , whatever your bike has replace and a new wiring loom.

·
Registered
357 Posts
To be honest i think joe lucas is to blame for a lot of the reliability issues with british bikes , fit an electronic ignition , alton replacement dynamo, solid state rectifier , whatever your bike has replace and a new wiring loom.
The Lucas mag, that came factory with the bike, works awesome as is. Four Aces give the rotor a re-magnetization on my SR2, and that sucker works awesome. Hitchcocks sells all the internals like points, condensers, even those stupid little screws that hold the plug wires into the magneto cap!

Solid state Rectifier, single point ground system (positive or negative ground), and some fresh wiring should fix any problems.... unless the stator is shit. I gave my bike an upgrade on all wires and have absolutely no problems so far.

Boondocker is a member her and owns an Indian badged Enfield twin and might give you some info too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you can get a bth mag get one , they make the lucas mags look like something off a russian tractor. And if replacing the amal or amals get them with the chromed bronze slide , they don't wear half as quick as normal.

Greasepit, anymore videos of your machine ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Greasepit, anymore videos of your machine ?
Negative. I'll make another video after I get my bike back together and running again. It's in boxes and the engine is in pieces getting a good overhaul after breaking the engine in. Didn't want to take chances on an bike that sat for years and years, in addition to it's age.

Those BTH Mags are cool as shit but mine is stock and works damn well. Guess there's no need to dump some cash on something I don't need (didn't say I don't WANT it though...).

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Like any old bike... it'll need mechanical attention. I really like mine. Only took me six years to get it running. Now that it's running I've discovered that it has a real bad oil sumping issue. Will be tearing it down and rebuilding the bottom end this fall (that's the short story). My bike has character out the wazzoo and it's great for puttering around the lake like a proper gentleman (I'm swapping out me leathers for a tweed sport coat). Where ever I park it, it attracts scads of old men and it recycles most of it's oil on to the driveway. I'll never sell it. Love it. But I'm weird like that.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A one piece barrel? I don't understand what you mean.

These are standard twin barrels (Meteor Minor, Super Meteor, Connie, Interceptor..etc) and are all two piece (supposed to ensure more efficient cooling).

Hitchcocks ( I think?) makes a new one piece alloy barrel for RE twins.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Negative. I'll make another video after I get my bike back together and running again. It's in boxes and the engine is in pieces getting a good overhaul after breaking the engine in. Didn't want to take chances on an bike that sat for years and years, in addition to it's age.

Those BTH Mags are cool as shit but mine is stock and works damn well. Guess there's no need to dump some cash on something I don't need (didn't say I don't WANT it though...).
Take and post some pics as you reassemble the bike , not enough royal enfield stuff on the web , ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've discovered that it has a real bad oil sumping issue. Will be tearing it down and rebuilding the bottom end this fall
Such a cool lookin' bike. Mine was that color blue when I picked her up but now sits under a slick shade of black.

While you have the bottom torn apart, modify the breather system as I just did. Drill some holes, in the timing chest, that lead to the oil tank, and add a nice size hose barb to vent the tank. I have a write up in the Enfield mod thread I started a while ago.

Hitchcocks ( I think?) makes a new one piece alloy barrel for RE twins.
Never heard of such a thing. The pride of Enfields is the two piece barrel design that helps dissipate heat better than a solid, single piece barrel. Why Hitchcock's would manufacture that is beyond me. The Bullet singles have an optional alloy barrel, but that's all I've heard about that.

Can you find a part number?

Take and post some pics as you reassemble the bike , not enough royal enfield stuff on the web , ;)
Sure thing mate!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greasepit, it was in either Classic Bike Guide or Classic Bike about 5-6 years ago. I recently packed my collection up and put it in storage. Maybe it wasn't successful?
I can't find it on Hitchcocks either.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Got a huge soft spot for RE's. Would have one if I was richer, older, less busy, and could afford a third bike. I think the plunger is what does it for me. I've thought about building a plunger frame at some point... but that's mostly just thinking. Heh.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Try here, they sell everything Enfield:-

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/home

Cheers Dan.
They are on top of their game. I had a problem with them sending a wrong piston for my bike, I sent them an email on a Monday, and by Friday afternoon, I was staring a the right part. They need to branch out to the U.S. as there aren't many people supplying hard-to-find RE parts here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts