Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
evidently someone does. 27 bids and 4 days left. damn!!!

mitch

·
Registered
181 Posts
gotta say not a fan of the Exile bikes.....too "Cartoonish" for my taste, they all look like black and white illustrations from the old "Heavy Metal" magazine...flat black and brushed aluminum only goes so far....

...but what do I know...I ride rice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm building a similar bike for a customer, and as much as I hate to say it, the style is growing on me. The one I'm doing is only using the wheels, tires, & front end from them, but it still has that weird "steamroller/bulldozer" vibe. It is what it is.

Not really my style either, but like I said, it's kinda growing on me.

And just FYI...the PARTS ALONE to build that bike are probably in the 25-30K range and up. That is, if you are paying retail or close to it...and that's not including labor. Hard to believe, but true.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bass said:
Not really my style either, but like I said, it's kinda growing on me.

And just FYI...the PARTS ALONE to build that bike are probably in the 25-30K range and up. That is, if you are paying retail or close to it...and that's not including labor. Hard to believe, but true.
I like the style. Maybe not as much as other stuff but I think it can have it's place. I kinda like industrial minimalism in certain cases.

Buster, it's hard for me to believe that people have that kind of jack too. I work hard and make decent money but I can't fathom paying anywhere in the neighborhood of 50k for a motorcycle. That's a chunk of house money, not bike money.

Any kind of one-off custom work is worth money because it leans more (hopefully) toward being art rather than pure mechanics so I can see some cost getting built-in there as any custom bike comes together. But parts? I'm suspicious of those prices.

Brian, it's so hard to believe that retail prices are so out of control on parts to build such a basic looking bike. I know the drivetrain stuff is through the roof. Hopefully it will come down a bit as the shine wears off of Harley and clone parts for the rich guys. I've been watching brit engine stuff nearly double in value lately too.

Why can't the rich be interested in yachts or shit like that? They used to dig those things back in the day. Or better yet, why don't they spend their friggin' money helping others? But that's a subject for another day.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Russel Mitchel has taken minimalist bike building to fetish level. That bike is worth every dime. Fucking beautiful.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've also noticed a steep rise in the cost of parts for British bikes...especially on ebay. Shit, complete core motors have at least tripled in price over the past year or so.

I keep thinking the bottom is going to fall out of the Harley/ chopper popularity thing, but I really don't think it's even reached its peak just yet. I mean, how many of you would have thought six or seven years ago that bike builders would become pop culture icons as recognizable as singers and actors? I certainly didn't.

The...uhh..."fad" will eventually evolve into something else, but first the so-called "bobbers" are going to go even more mainstream. It's probably going to suck for those of us that actually know what the fuck a "bobber" actually is. The big downside will be that prices of cool vintage stuff will go further through the roof, the upside will be that if you already have some of that stuff or are close to completing a 'retro-styled' (for lack of a better term) project it will likely be more valuable than ever.

Anyway, back to the Exile thing...If you are bored, you may find this interesting:

http://www.exilecycles.com/steamroller_pricing.htm

http://www.exilecycles.com/steamroller.htm

Their prices have also gone up a little bit since this was uploaded to the net.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah, I bitterly SWORE for years that I would never ride a Harley, or anything else that wasn't based on a race bike... :D

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
Conder said:
Russel Mitchel has taken minimalist bike building to fetish level. That bike is worth every dime. Fucking beautiful.
What the hillbilly said. The precise machine work going into his bikes is quite impressive.

I'm calling a spade a spade here though: You strip everything off an FL/FLH/Whatever and put a chunky Sporty tank and dirt track bars on and you've got where Russell's idea initially came from.

Come over to my garage and look at my Pan in its torn down but unchopped state, you'll get it.

Oh, and Kudos to Russell for becoming a fucking rock star, living in the Hollywood or wherever hills, and being a bleach blonde, fake boobie pimp'n 'PLAYA. It's the fucking accent.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have to give props to Russell, too. If OCC can charge six figures for a "custom" built abortion, Russ deserves double. I can't beleive the prices either, but when you throw companies like OCC in the mix bikes like exiles start making sense.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's never going anywhere. It's too interesting building a motorcycle from scratch. I want to see it evolve to perverted distortion, crazy nuts over the top insane motherfucker.

For thousands of years artists have made people cry and made a living (sometimes) and some have even made a great DEATH with 2 dimensional pictures that just hang on a wall.

A motorcycle will KILL you. It will put you down and grind your happy ass into jelly, looking cool as fuck the whole time. It takes engineering, design, mechanics, fabrication, painting, I could go on all day... just to bring one into existance. Even a "KIT" bike takes hundreds of people to make, but taking a vaporous thought and turning it into a bellowing work of art that screams and thumps and bangs...and do nearly all of it by yourself? well...FUCK fine art.

It's time to get over all this "I can't believe it's so expensive", "Fuckin' Yuppie biker", "I RIDE my bike, that's why it's flat black", blah blah. It's all bullshit. If you want to create this kind of art, you need a good job. Add up your hours when you build, then imagine doing it for a living (include overhead and taxes). 50 grand is CHEAP. I'm all for building a wicked panhead for 6000 bucks and riding the shit out of it. Some of these guys on TV, (or down the street) are chasing something altogether different. It's nearly impossible to create a motorcycle more beautiful than a correctly bobbed knuckle, a "Frisco" style pan or a "Cafe" style Gold Star, but to quit trying is PUSSY.

Creating a motorcycle has it all baby. Whether it's collaboration with good friends or a "solo" effort. Art or craft or both. Salinas Boys' bikes. Chopper Daves "Super Freak", Joakim Krants' "Satan's Dream" are bikes deeply rooted in tradition but are brimming with new stuff. These guys are about to fuck shit up. Then there's www.DBBP.com and Krugger, hands down perverts every one of 'em. Call me a pompous ass if you want, but forget that store bought TV shit, try paying more attention. Like Van Gogh used to say..."YOU'RE LOOKING TOO FAST!"

·
Registered
773 Posts
Russ has always been one of my favorite builders. Clean lines, classic, but modern looks, simple shit.
Was looking into those kits 5 years ago. Almost had it ordered when i tallied it all up and had to have second thoughts. I wanted to build the bike real bad, but it was a bit too much for me, and i mostly just wanted to ride. Ride in style, of course, but i knew it was gonna take me a lot of time to put it together. So i bought an old used FXR with a hot rod motor for 1/3 of the price i was going to shell out for the Mad Max chop, and i've been riding it ever since. I love my FXR. I love the Exile bikes too. Maybe when i got a few extra benjamins laying around...
Someday...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Some bikes just scream " Ride Me! You Pussy!"

Exile bikes are begging for it, they seem to want to be abused, they like it, they need it. They look unbreakable and I like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No one said the bike ain't cool. It's fucking awesome...

The fact that it's being sold on ebay by a third party who probably doesn't ride motorcycles is the problem here. Someone UNINVOLVED is cashing-in on all that hard work, ingenuity and CELEBRITY. Majorly cashing-in. On someone else's shit, just because it was on some monster garage spin-off show. Also, rad as the bike is, that inflated price prohibits ever riding it! Welcome to the climate-controlled garage/museum circuit!

AND, just think of it this way...what could YOU BUILD for $50 fucking thousand?!
You could have a $10,000 spending spree and get 5 classic running bikes at least....then spend to wrench 'em up, insure 'em, register 'em, fill 'em up with gas, and then ride one to the bank to put a down payment on a house!

Yeah, it's worth the money, but so many other things would be possible with that chunk of change. Same thing goes for those fucking STUPID goddamn Escalades...they're worse than Hummers.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tim Conder, you have a way with words my man.

Like a lot of you I'm in this for life...come hell or high water. Shit, I've got enough projects sitting out in the shop right now to last me 10 years or so.

I do like most of the Exile stuff...and yes, hats off to Russell Mitchell for marketing himself and his company so well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Damn good post Conder.

Why is everybody tiptoeing around terms like bobber and old school? Is in not cool to use that term anymore? And can someone please shove the next buzword down my throwt? I calls em like I see em... Choppers bobbers sportbikes dirtbikes what ever. I don't care how mainstream it gets there will always be a sect of noname builders that are building way cooler shit then the average builder. I just find it kinda funny when people start trying to dig up different terms to avoid the mainstream.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Man you cats are depressing the shit out of me. I've been working on this one bike for going on 3 yrs and I still dont have it on the road. I've tore it down, built it back up, didnt like it, tore it down again. I've spent WAY more on this machine than I should have, but its my bike and it'll end up the way I want it. Even if that means the fucker wont be done until chops, bobs, what ever the fuck you want to call 'em comes back around for the third time.

Prices are on the way up, and I dont see them coming down. I cant honestly believe that people are complaining about the fact that a third party is selling this bike and make cash on it? man that's the name of the game! Where do you think swapmeets, pawn shops, and ebay came from? There is always a cat out there willing to spend more for a finished product even if it just for a name. If I had a Barris, or Roth car, or say for arguments sake an old custom bike no one had seen in decades. If I decided to sell it, would people be pissed at me for selling something that some one else (famous) built? I should hope not. Maybe I'm just talking out my ass here, I have been sniffing paint fumes all week.....

Bass, Hey did you ever find that motor you were looking for?

Bass said:
Like a lot of you I'm in this for life...come hell or high water. Shit, I've got enough projects sitting out in the shop right now to last me 10 years or so.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I know for a fact that Russ Mitchell is a puff.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts