Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this thing today. I saw it at a guys place a couple of years ago, he found it sitting in a shed for over 20 yrs. Wasn't for sale. I all but forgot about it, and a friend got a call from said dude and it was for sale. He bought it, called me, and here it is!! He thinks its a Ness bike.
Can anyone identify this? Holy shit this thing is wacky and fucking cool!!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I really have an really intense dislike of you!! I've always loved that style and never could figure out why it went out. Wacky it ain't. Oh so cool it is!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow is scrub n shine time. I can't wait to see this thing clean. The inside of the tank is fucked though. Still has gas in it.... With lots and lots of rust.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
It's a single downtube hard-head section.. so to me it's a GMA (Gardener) instead of a Ness front section..also the gusset shape gives it away..
You could order them back then in any stretch and rake you wanted..

Here's a pic from a GMA hardheaded Sporty frame, (this one here has less amount of forward stretch) Gusset shape is the same..

(Barry Cooney also made single downtube hard-head kits, but gusset was different)

·
Registered
15 Posts
WoW!! It,s awesome. +1 wouldn't change a thing, only good cleaning and polishing. Nice Gardener's frame and Ness/century front end, Great score!
Please can you take photo directly from rear ? Also like to see more photos when it's cleaned.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Danny and Digger Guys, I have an Original Early Arlen Ness and Barry Cooney Catolog as well as many Pictures, I will need to scan them and Post, problem is my scan at work comes out in a PDF and I cannot jpeg the pictures, I will ask the Comp Guru kid at work for help...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't plan on changing it. Maybe the rear tire and rim, its the most rusty part on the bike. Have to figure out how to get the tank clean without hurting the paint. I've cleaned many tanks, but usually it didn't matter whats on the outside.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
sos pad(not scotch brite) with water or clr takes heavy rust off chrome pretty well. then put some polish on it, but it will eventually come back. but if you just wanted to clean it up until you could get new chrome.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I love that bike! I would junk the exhaust and make or get something without the baffles but that bike is a Ruler!

·
Banned
613 Posts
I don't plan on changing it. Maybe the rear tire and rim, its the most rusty part on the bike. Have to figure out how to get the tank clean without hurting the paint. I've cleaned many tanks, but usually it didn't matter whats on the outside.
I clean tanks for the Local Harley and BMW dealers on Newer bikes. It can be done but you have to be very careful.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So how does it handle? With the front kicked out that far, is there a lot of flop in the front? Or does the lower pivot point offset that?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've got a double tube Gardener frame and I would say that is definitely his hardhead section. Alot of rocket tanks Munroe built for Ness were aluminum, haven't seen too many steel ones, especially with the large gas cap. SB&F struts is all I can add to what's already been said. Nice score, now get her on the road asap!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts