Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple guys asked me about Whitworth tools, here is my answer.

I have lots of British parts and tools. I am too lazy to put everything on my site, so anything you don't see, just ask. Sometimes the website link to my email does not work, sometimes i forget about the PM section of this site. Try me at [email protected] or just call me out here. I am around.

Personally I have two kinds of English wrenches on my bench. One combination set from Acesa, a Spanish company, and one set manufactured by the "Speed" company. The Speeds are drop forged and the Acesa is Chrome Vanadium, although this is not that big of a deal, not really even sure what Chrome Vandaddium is. I do not know where the Speed are made, I got them in a trade for some stuff and liked them because the box end is a little thinner than the Acesa and I can get into some little corners better with them. The Speeds have nice open ended jaws too, very square and taller than the Acesa. This gives them less clearance but more holding power when you use the open end, and one often uses the open end.

I also have some Williams Superslims (made in England) in the drawer, but so far I can only find them in open ended (both sides). I have found them to be not as "slim" as the Acesa. I also have some "Black Whitworths" which are a sort of Voodoo sized wrenches only open ended which work on some obscure nuts and bolts that are on some early English bikes.

And then sockets, but this is starting to bore everyone, especially me, and I feel like a rambling crack-head all of a sudden.

My recommendation for price, useability, availability, etc is the Spanish made Acesa 7 piece combination set. It is a good beginner/intermediate set. They are nice tools, feel good in your hand and cost about $65 bucks for a set plus shipping.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've heard good things about the Acesa. Good quality and not as expensive. ANother good name King Dick, though they cost more.

Whatever I have right now is just a mishmash of different brands cultivated from various collections. But it seems there are not as many cheap knock-offs, because whitworth really covers such a specialized market.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts