Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a particular yr that's better than the others? just wondering which one to stay away from, or are they all good yrs?

yes can you all tell i'm really wet behind the ears? :eek: ;) haha

·
Registered
217 Posts
low springs said:
is there a particular yr that's better than the others? just wondering which one to stay away from, or are they all good yrs?

yes can you all tell i'm really wet behind the ears? :eek: ;) haha
their all good i prefer the later model years with electronic ignition but the older ones they say made more power but they had bigger carbs so ya take som ya lose some but their all great engines.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yep! Like no2 said, the later years are electronic ignition, earlier have points. Basically it comes down to that. Electronic ignition might be easier to deal with, maybe not, but then you have to hide a few more wires to make it look good. They are all pretty solid motors that look good and can be gotten on the cheap. That was my reason for gettin one.. $$. I maybe have a grand in mine, Nappy's is really sweet and he doesnt have much tied up in his either. You can hardtail the stock frame pretty easily, or have no2 do ya up a custom frame for a really reasonable price.

XCS

·
Registered
981 Posts
i prefer pre 1980. mainly because of the power issue and that there are a few things on the later engine im not real crazy about. like on the right side theres a little window and on the left theres the shift pattern engraved. i prefer "clean" look. yeah you can buy other cases but i have no $$. and i really havent had any problems with mine not being an electronic ignition. mines a 78 and runs great!

·
Registered
845 Posts
jesusno2 said:
their all good i prefer the later model years with electronic ignition but the older ones they say made more power but they had bigger carbs so ya take som ya lose some but their all great engines.
Hey jesusno2, cool to see another CU'er over here. I hear both mills run lots better with slide carbs, which is what I'm planning to do when I finish mine out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
DrDano said:
Hey jesusno2, cool to see another CU'er over here. I hear both mills run lots better with slide carbs, which is what I'm planning to do when I finish mine out.
with out a doubt man slide carbs rock on a xs as long as you don't go to big. 34mm mikunis rounds are one of the best bang for your buck carb setups for the xs. flatslides are even better but way more $$. just remember slide carbs are way more efficent than those old crappy cv carbs. but cv,s can be modded to work but it's way easy to spend the $$ and get the slide carbs for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.