Jockey Journal Forum banner

where's the best place to advertise a scoot for sale?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  scraper 
#1 ·
other than in the JJ classifieds, that is?

let's face it, there's a pretty limited readership here. i've got my FXWG listed here. it'll be on craigslist tomorrow. i'm not sure that i want to deal with e-bay.

the local papers (& freebies) are somewhat pricey and don't reach that many folks.

what are my options?

what has worked for you?

other websites?

i've had 4 bikes in my life and still have 3 of them. the other one i sold to a friend about 20 years ago. so, as you can see, i don't have any experience in this field. but now i've decided to sell another one as i haven't ridden it in about 4 years.

#2 ·
Best way I know is Walneck's. They sell all brands, comes out monthly, and has a circulation somewhere over 500,000 readers. I have bought and sold there, no probs. Panman51

atch said:
other than in the JJ classifieds, that is?

let's face it, there's a pretty limited readership here. i've got my FXWG listed here. it'll be on craigslist tomorrow. i'm not sure that i want to deal with e-bay.

the local papers (& freebies) are somewhat pricey and don't reach that many folks.

what are my options?

what has worked for you?

other websites?

i've had 4 bikes in my life and still have 3 of them. the other one i sold to a friend about 20 years ago. so, as you can see, i don't have any experience in this field. but now i've decided to sell another one as i haven't ridden it in about 4 years.

#4 ·
I'm not sure in your area, but out here in CA, the old standby www.cycletrader.com works well. I've probably sold a dozen bikes or so in there over the last ten years.

Since I discovered eBay, I've been selling them on there instead since it reaches a bigger audience and I feel like I've been able to get slightly more money for bikes since one can post more photos, more detailed description, etc. (Last two out of three bikes went to someone who had to have it shipped.) It comes with it's own hassles for sure and if you have never done it, you may want to wait until you've sold a few smaller items before you go trying to sell a whole bike.

A photo and description put up at the favorite watering hole never seems to hurt if the bike matches the crowd, and it's a good excuse to go have a drink...

Just my $.02.

-Bill

#6 ·
hatch said:
Easy...just call me....I really need another bike:D
hatch,

i'd love for you to get this scoot and let me see it a year later (it's listed in the classifieds; have at it).

i've thought of building a chopper out of it, but it's just waaaay too nice to cut up. ok; we know that there are those of you out there that feel like NO bike is too nice to cut up, but this one really is.

#8 ·
i 2nd the ebay notion. I ebayed my old 86 honda shadow & got more than double what I thought i was going to get for it - (like $2300!!). the guy was so stoked about it because it was his 1st bike & it was in really nice shape, new seat, tires, paint, low miles, etc. i rode it to his house & charged him $.50 per mile & made another $80 for delivery. it was literally 20 degrees out though & i caught the flu immediately after i got home.

anyhow, ebay has been a good experience for selling AND buying for a long time for me. also, its nice to be a guaranteed sell in a week.

#10 ·
add another vote for eBay.

it will add a little hassle to the sale, especially with the moronic questions people come up with. someone once asked me if a sportster seat i was selling would fit thier honda shadow. yeah, the mounts line right up.

the hassle pays off though -- you're going to get top dollar, sometimes WAY more than something is worth just because some yahoo HAS to have it.

later this week i'm listing a beat up '83 toyota pickup with a blown head gasket and fully expect it to sell for a lot more than the $50 it's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.