Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here doin it for people??

i just dont have the time or tools, and wanna get it done probly this fall if i keep the narrow glide......

o, and whats aprox cost on a couple legs gettin done??? i may end up doin this myself if cost is silly, LOL...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It really isnt that hard to do yourself. A decent set of files, some emmry cloth a bit of polishing gooop...Oh yeah and a few cold ones to drink to make sure ya dont de-hydrate.
However any decent machine shop should be able to turn them down for you, But that can get a bit pricy. Remember a machine shop has over head costs. Labor is only part of the bills they have to pay.
My advice do it your self, take it slow.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
check the tech archives. there a good descripion w/ pic there somewhere. it was a while ago, so it may be a coulpe pages back.

after lookin' at that i aint skeered to do mine.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont mind buyin the flap disks (hope they come in 4" otherwise may have to substitute with a DA sander from a friend or something).... the only thing im not sure i can get done is polishing... i have access to a 6" bench grinder and HATCH showed me a decently easy way to get tthat done... i guess worst comes toworst i ruin em, LOL

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
There are certain tasks that are better accomplished on a lathe. This is one of them. Anyone w/ a midsized toolroom lathe (maybe even a big benchtop lathe) can do this. Just take a grinder and whack the mounts off, then they can be turned down.

Polishing...you can do it yourself. Search for polishing on here, you'll find plenty of info.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You really don't need a lathe.

I use a cutting disc on a grinder to get the meat off. Then a flap disc to bring it close. Then sander. Works great, looks great. Polishing can be achieved with a hand buffer, a bench top grinder or sanding with higher and higher grit then som oldfashion elbow grease.

Although it is quicker and easier to use a lathe if you had extra time ir extra money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.