Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
where to begin?? rookie questions...

okay, so i made a deal for a santee framed rigid shovel project from a buddy of mine for my model a coupe. i have a fairly good idea how these things work, but have no hands on experience.

the roller is all new and it comes with an 88" shovel and baker 5 spd kicker.
lots of nice stuff, narrow chrome springer, 15"/140 rear, 21" front, chica ribbed peanut tank and rear fender, nice forward controls, 16" apes...

any good references and/or resources where i can feed my brain on assembly and the nuances of putting the drivetrain together?? anyone recommend any good books or websites?? need info on special tools, etc. i'm a professional mechanic and i've been working on hotrods and race cars my whole life, so the nuts and bolts part shouldnt be too bad, but again, never had one apart or together.
i need a primary, hand controls, headlight, pipes, carb and rear brake to make it 'complete'

any input would be helpful...
chain vs. belt primary and final drive
open vs closed primary
what about clutches?
what about carbs?
quality suppliers at reasonable prices?? (yeah i know)

i'm sure i'll come up with more as i go along, so thanks in advance fellas!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
I really would like to help but don't know where to start.All I can say is : learning by doing.I would go with a belt primary drive,open or closed depends on what YOU like more,I use a Barnett Kevlar cluch with Big Fix and Ram Jett Retainer(4-speed tranny) and S&S carbs can be bought cheap and they work.I would keep the bike simple.The roller looks good but I'd dump the forward controls.As far as suppliers,I bought lots of parts from Fog Hollow,quality parts and reasonable priced but I'm only speaking of engine and tranny parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
I've used Clymer Manuals, but it's hard to beat a Harley Service Manual. Is the bike kick only or are you gonna run an aluminum primary and 'lectric start? If you run the electric start you might have to get a shovelhead manual for the engine and a 1992/up manual for the primary and transmission.
Larry T
BTW what are you doing with the Ford pickup fenders?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Re: where to begin?? rookie questions...

alteredpilot said:
i need a primary, hand controls, headlight, pipes, carb and rear brake to make it 'complete'

any input would be helpful...
chain vs. belt primary and final drive
open vs closed primary
what about clutches?
what about carbs?
quality suppliers at reasonable prices?? (yeah i know)
I would start simple, put the obvious stuff together to do an initial "Mockup", then figure out what you want it to look like, the Must have parts will stand out when the basics are done. With that tranny you have (kickstarter) the electric start is an option, but I still love the tech cycle starter that does not need any kind of motor plate, it just mounts to the tranny and acts like a bearing carrier. But the trick there is the tranny, is it a 5 speed or a 5 speed in a 4 speed box? The 5 speeds really need to be connected to the motor for strength so if you need a motor plate anyway then you may as well get a whole primary set for an open belt IMHO.

I like my 3", but I think I would have been happy with the 2" belt on a Shovel, it looks just as cool and it is still overkill for most bikes. If you allready have a clutch you can make it work with a open belt, if you do not have one get a Rivera Pro clutch, and it is this mechanics opinion that BDL is less than perfect (ok, shit).

Final drive on a shovel should be a chain, I think I read it in the Bible...

Carbs, I love the Mikuni 42, but on a Shovel a S&S Super E seems to be the hot ticket, and it is cheaper.

There are many dealers lurking on most forums (Myself included) I know Trent has some parts, Fab Kevin is a great guy to deal with for parts and advice (I love his Tokiko brakes)

I still think the coolest bikes dont have alot of usless crap so try to simplify as much as possible.

Good luck and dont forget to ask questions...

Alex
www.Defiantbikes.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replys thus far.
i asked sorta vague on purpose to get the jist of how folks respond. its just like the hamb so i feel right at home.
now to get more specific....
WHY does everyone (well, not EVERYONE, but LOTS of folks) prefer the belt drive?? what are the pros and cons?? same with open vs. closed??
i know what opinions are like, but really. i mean, the factory has been doing things a certain way for a long time, and i'm sure it has nothing to do with it NOT working, but then again there wouldnt be belt drives everywhere if there werent something to them right??
my buddy at work has had a 48 pan since the mid 70's and he said he'd never run another belt drive, but again, another buddy said never another chain.
personally i think i want to go with a 2" open belt. i think they look very mechanical and i like it. but i dont want to do anything soley on the basis of looks. it has to be mechanically sound and functional. chain final drive. definately.
i dont plan on building a super showy chrome monster, in fact i'll probably paint alot of the mechanical stuff like inner primary because i'm lazy and i hate polishing chrome.
i'm not real big on the forward controls either, but they'll do for now until i can find something more slim and steel with knurled pegs, and they will work with and not take away from what i'm trying to do. i'll probably change the bars to shorter apes or drag bars cause i'm short and i think they look cartoony anyway.
anyway thanks again guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
alteredpilot said:
thanks for the replys thus far.
i asked sorta vague on purpose to get the jist of how folks respond. its just like the hamb so i feel right at home.
now to get more specific....
WHY does everyone (well, not EVERYONE, but LOTS of folks) prefer the belt drive?? what are the pros and cons?? same with open vs. closed??
i know what opinions are like, but really. i mean, the factory has been doing things a certain way for a long time, and i'm sure it has nothing to do with it NOT working, but then again there wouldnt be belt drives everywhere if there werent something to them right??
my buddy at work has had a 48 pan since the mid 70's and he said he'd never run another belt drive, but again, another buddy said never another chain.
personally i think i want to go with a 2" open belt. i think they look very mechanical and i like it. but i dont want to do anything soley on the basis of looks. it has to be mechanically sound and functional. chain final drive. definately.
i dont plan on building a super showy chrome monster, in fact i'll probably paint alot of the mechanical stuff like inner primary because i'm lazy and i hate polishing chrome.
i'm not real big on the forward controls either, but they'll do for now until i can find something more slim and steel with knurled pegs, and they will work with and not take away from what i'm trying to do. i'll probably change the bars to shorter apes or drag bars cause i'm short and i think they look cartoony anyway.
anyway thanks again guys.
I like belts because they dont leak! I like the lighter weight of a belt drive vs. a primary chain, seems to feel smoother to me and does not stretch and needs less adjusting. The biggest gripe most guys had with belts was they would snap without warning, these were typically enclosed drives like in the Sturgis that overheated until failure.. But these new belts are superiour in materials and if they are open to the air for cooling they hold up well. The biggest gripe is the rain, it goes everywhere with that water conveyor..

Good luck, and take some pics of the during process, ya may need them someday!

Alex
www.Defiantbikes.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
I'm dealing with this right now...
Have never been able to get my primary to stop leaking.
I'm at the point where i'm gonna pull the whole primary, machine both edges and put it back together, or get a fucking belt drive and be done with it.
Primary oil isn't bad until its covering your bike every time you ride it.
Shouldn't be that way.
Then again, i can't get my heads to stop leaking either!
Those are goin to the machine shop next week...haha.

FXRocket said:
I like belts because they dont leak! http://www.defiantbikes.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Ryno said:
I'm dealing with this right now...
Have never been able to get my primary to stop leaking.
I'm at the point where i'm gonna pull the whole primary, machine both edges and put it back together, or get a fucking belt drive and be done with it.
Primary oil isn't bad until its covering your bike every time you ride it.
Shouldn't be that way.
Then again, i can't get my heads to stop leaking either!
Those are goin to the machine shop next week...haha.
What year is the bike. I like the Brute 3 cause it uses a 1.75 wide belt vs the BDL 1.5 wide. Either way you must vent it, (And check belt clearance, it requires grinding some webs down) I use washers between the outer cover and the inner. I also use a vented derby. I have a Brute 3 with a Pro clutch in a 95hp FXR and I destroyed the tranny trying to get a wheel into second, the belt is still fine.

Where are your heads leaking?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top