Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Atlanta and the closest I can find is in Tifton, GA (Damn near FL) or Sumter, SC.

Any chance there are smaller salvage yards that just aren't on the net?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know the two bike ones I go to are not on the net. I found one by chance just driving by and the other by word of mouth from a friend. Kinda sucks though I stopped by one of them yesterday to buy some pipes and he had just sold his entire boneyard to some guy in England.

Primo

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've had this same problem with them not being online. Cars and bikes. If I had any recommendation for a guy who wanted to make money from a salvage, it would be 'have a searchable home page at the very least.'

That said, I would urge you to talk to the guys at your local independant bike shops. If anyone knows, it's them. And don't be marque specific, just ask about bike parts in general because you never know what old jap bike salvage has a secret stash of brit bikes you could cop. ;)

Stevie G said:
I'm in Atlanta and the closest I can find is in Tifton, GA (Damn near FL) or Sumter, SC.

Any chance there are smaller salvage yards that just aren't on the net?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Stevie,
There used to be one in the Hiram area, not sure it is still there because some bigger yard was buying up all the small yards in the Atlanta area. It may have been the yard in Sumter, SC. Cycle City Graveyard in downtown Atlanta went out of business about 2 years ago. Tons of older stuff but the owner was an old guy with an junkyard attitude. He sold the majority of his remaining stock to some yard near Lawrenceville, most of the good stuff had already been bought by up by then. I managed to get a couple of early Sportster frames for $75, and some new old stock chopper parts for $20. I had my ARMY shirt on, so he liked me. He didn't like my buddy so everything he asked about was considerably higher. If you need something from Tifton or a yard in Tampa, I travel between Douglasville and Tampa Florida on a regular basis and have a truck.
Hank

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but didin't want to start a new one.

Looking for a salvage yard in New England. Preferably in Ma/NH

Most of the ones I've been able to find don't deal with old harley parts.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is a great idea for a resource thread. Sciknen, Hey I'm about 100 miles west of you. I know of some indy's around here with lots of stockpiles of old stuff. Are you looking for, anything particular? Do you know about the swaps? When you go to the swaps, make contacts and get phone #'s for your future needs. Re-read your post. Old HD, original parts? Try AMCA meets and swaps. AMCA=Antique Motorcycle Club of America. A lot of us there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've been searching for swaps and couldn't find any.

I'm looking for the mid controls off a 1973 ironhead and hand controls w/ switches.

I found a decent place online if it comes down to it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts