Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Triumph basket project came with a 17" x 3" rear and a 20" x 2" front, I had really wanted to run a vintage style white wall tire but cant seem to find anything to fit. If I find the diameter I can find the width I want, I would like to be somewhere in the area of 5" in the rear and as narrow as possiable in the front. Any suggestions I have tried Coker and Avon but come up with nothing.
Are these just bastard size rims, would I be better off just finding new rims?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Craven Moorhead said:
My Triumph basket project came with a 17" x 3" rear and a 20" x 2" front, I had really wanted to run a vintage style white wall tire but cant seem to find anything to fit. If I find the diameter I can find the width I want, I would like to be somewhere in the area of 5" in the rear and as narrow as possiable in the front. Any suggestions I have tried Coker and Avon but come up with nothing.
Are these just bastard size rims, would I be better off just finding new rims?
I've never heard of a 20" motorcycle rim, do you have a tire or are you just measuring the outside diameter of a 19" rim (which would be about 20". There are 17's but that sounds odd too, maybe a 16? There are plenty of tires around for 19 and 16 inch rims. My favorite combo on a chopper is a 21 in front and 18 out back, with a 16 in back they tend to look a little out of proportion to me, although if your building a 60's or 70's style bike its the "correct" look.
As far as white walls go...I've never seen a white wall I like on anything but a 16" wheel, and I don't think it looks right on a chopper (my opinion).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nimrod said:
I've never heard of a 20" motorcycle rim, do you have a tire or are you just measuring the outside diameter of a 19" rim (which would be about 20". There are 17's but that sounds odd too, maybe a 16? There are plenty of tires around for 19 and 16 inch rims. My favorite combo on a chopper is a 21 in front and 18 out back, with a 16 in back they tend to look a little out of proportion to me, although if your building a 60's or 70's style bike its the "correct" look.
As far as white walls go...I've never seen a white wall I like on anything but a 16" wheel, and I don't think it looks right on a chopper (my opinion).
No tires just rims, the front measures 20" dia and the rear measures 17.25". Could someone please explain the proper way to measure a motorcycle rim. Maybe I am not measuring correctly, I was just measuring overall DIA lip to lip.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Craven Moorhead said:
No tires just rims, the front measures 20" dia and the rear measures 17.25". Could someone please explain the proper way to measure a motorcycle rim. Maybe I am not measuring correctly, I was just measuring overall DIA lip to lip.
The measurement you're looking for is tire diameter, its measured at the inside of the tire bead, or on the rim it would be inside where the tire bead sits. It's usually about 1" less in diameter than the outside of the rim (same on car rims). Sounds like you have a 19 and 16 inch wheel.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nimrod said:
The measurement you're looking for is tire diameter, its measured at the inside of the tire bead, or on the rim it would be inside where the tire bead sits. It's usually about 1" less in diameter than the outside of the rim (same on car rims). Sounds like you have a 19 and 16 inch wheel.
Thanks for your help that makes sense, these are a 16" and 19" which makes life a hell of a lot easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts