Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished lacing up a 16 inch rim to a 1970 spooled Triumph hub. My question is should the rim be centered or offset to the right to accomodate the dicc brake and sprocket? I picked the spokes up on Ebay and I am thinking they are the wrong length....any guidance would be great.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i just laced up my conical front last night. ive never done a combo like yours but i would bet that if you put on all the lockwashers, spacers, washers, etc. basically everything on the axle that sits inside the rear dropouts. set it up in a truing stand & tighten up everything accordingly. whatever dish is required between the hub & the rim will be defined by any uneven spacing of the parts that sit on the axle itself. long story short - no matter where the hub is, the rim has to be centered between the dropouts. (unless its an asymmetrical frame for some reason)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Flyinsolo71 said:
I just finished lacing up a 16 inch rim to a 1970 spooled Triumph hub. My question is should the rim be centered or offset to the right to accomodate the dicc brake and sprocket? I picked the spokes up on Ebay and I am thinking they are the wrong length....any guidance would be great.
I've always set the wheel up in the frame and lined the sprockets up, then checked to see if the rim needs to be offset one way or the other to center up in the frame.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
if your using the stock spacers/componets on the axle/hub, regardless of rim diameter, there shouldnt be a reason that the sprockets would be misaligned unless the hardtail/swingarm is bent.

whichever way you choose, the rim has to be centered between the dropouts or your bike will ride like a funky monkey. keeping the rim centered on the bike is way more important than trying to squeeze a fatty tire past the chain.

·
Registered
853 Posts
sojerscraper said:
if your using the stock spacers/componets on the axle/hub, regardless of rim diameter, there shouldnt be a reason that the sprockets would be misaligned unless the hardtail/swingarm is bent.

whichever way you choose, the rim has to be centered between the dropouts or your bike will ride like a funky monkey. keeping the rim centered on the bike is way more important than trying to squeeze a fatty tire past the chain.
normally when someone laces a 16" rim to a triumph hub, it's because they want to run a 130 x 16 or a 5.00 x 16 tire. i assumed the application would be a rigid triumph, and being somewhat familiar with these setups, the usual challenge is to get the chain past the tire and still have the rim as nearly centered in the frame as possible. that's why i said to offset the rim as far to the left as possible while maintaining 1/4" clearance between the tire and chain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.