Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the feed and return but what I believe to be the vent has a T that branches off and is tie wrapped to the frame by the rear wheel and is open. What is the purpose of this line? Can it be eliminated? It blows out milky oil onto the wheel. Looking at the diagram in the manual it appears to be the feed to the rear chain, is this correct? Also there is a T on the return line that runs up by the front sprocket area, is this the scavenge feed to the rocker gear? Keep in mind that it's not the original oil tank, it's a custom octagon.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
The 'T' on the return line correctly feeds the rockers. On a standard twin the oil tank is normally vented along the rear fender out behind the rear wheel. From the pic, it looks as though your crankcase breather (which is a spike underneath the crankcase) may well be vented back to your oil tank with the 'T' providing the vent to the rear. If this is the case, I would suggest that you remove the 'T' and vent both the cranckase and the oil tank up the hollow centre post of the frame (a good tip from Dragon) but do not vent the crankcase back to the oil tank. Make both tubes as long as will fit up the centre post since they should ideally both vent at a height above the oil tank.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I put an automotive PCV valve in my crank breather thinking to induce a slight vacuum in the cases when running. Or at least stop the "breathing" with each stroke. It reduced oil out the vent line significantly...:)

·
Registered
967 Posts
I always run my case vent back to the tank at the top.drill and tap a fitting there... and of course the tank has another vent with a hose goin down to the ground,never had any luck with venting the case by running it up the frame.. it would always still puke oil up in there and drip out in time..thats on fresh rebuilds? may have something to do with really good compression and case pressure?..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Todd Asin at Small City Cycles vents the case and oil tank to the center post, welds up the bottom, adds a drain plug to the bottom, then a small breather under the gas tank, and just empties the center post every so often. Pretty slick. I'm gonna try it on the triumph I'm building now.
I like this idea, it would keep things a lot cleaner

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd love to see some pictures of that.....;)
Todd Asin at Small City Cycles vents the case and oil tank to the center post, welds up the bottom, adds a drain plug to the bottom, then a small breather under the gas tank, and just empties the center post every so often. Pretty slick. I'm gonna try it on the triumph I'm building now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.