Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up an early motor to build my boardtracker around. Any ideas of the original make or application? It has a kickstart on the case. No seperate magneto, it has all its ignition stuff mounted on the case too. It is about 17 inches tall, and the case is about 8 inches wide at the outermost of the circle. The only marks I found on it so far are an "L" stamped on the barrel below the fins. I also got this rear fender thrown in, if you know what that may be from I would like to know as well. It is well build, think guage metal, even the braces to mount to the hub are double sided and solid. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Looks like it could be a hummer or some early model lil scooter. Maybe when you tear it down the cylinder or flywheel might have better looking markings to go off of? I dig that back fender tho... you got one in a 16" wheel radius and about 4.5" wide? Lol

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's a Powell, probably a P-81. Straight outa Compton, 1949 or so. About 5hp. I believe they used flathead Ford components. There was no trans, a big ol' centrifugal clutch went on the left side. The carb is wrong

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like there was some 7hp motors too. Man they sure stayed with an early look for a while with there motors. should fake a board tracker motor well though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That scoot has a different kicker. Still think it's P-81 or AV8. The non stock carb is a typical. Original Powell carbs are rare because, when kicking one over, often your Levi cuff would catch on it and snap it off. Where are you? I know a guy in Lancaster that has Powell stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts