Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received an old honda dream tank off ebay and o need to do some welding to make it fit my sporty build. What's the best way to strip the inside of the tank since its recently been creamed???

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My best suggestion would be for you to take it to a radiator shop, have it properly stripped and re-lined.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Best to get with a radiator shop and see what the procedure is they use, but I'm sure they won't "guarantee" your paint.

I got lucky and whoever had lined a tank I had, didn't prep it right and it all came out like a thick rubber balloon in one piece.

Chemicals and saving paint is gona be hard. Not impossible, but hard......

Sixball

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I've used PVC pipe primer to remove that old crap. It was the only thing I found that would really get after it. It was still a giant pain in the hind end, requiring several applications with a couple handfulls of 1 1/4" type W (the real pointy ones) drywall screws thrown in and shook up with the PVC primer. If you can find a radiator shop that will remove it for you that would be easier. I contacted two shops in my area, and they told me they won't mess with motorcycle tanks. They both said they had "bad" :eek: experiences with bike tanks, but wouldn't elaborate on them.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My Triumph had been creamed when I got it and per Caswells instructions, removed most of it with a handfuIl of drywall screws and Acetone. Didn't get all of it out but that doesn't matter also according to Caswells. Re-sealed with their product and it has worked for the last 10,000 miles. They give you enough for 2 tanks but I just put 2 coats on my "Breadbin" euro tank which is 4.5 gallons I believe.

The stuff is pretty incredible. Drys real hard and crystal clear.

TD

·
Registered
935 Posts
I cleaned a tank with vinegar that may work ,wont break the bank to try it,took paint out of mine I think it was paint anyway the vinegar worked well

·
Registered
165 Posts
I ended up using a welding torch on my flatside tanks, after trying both vinegar and the BBs-in-the-dryer trick. :) They were in pretty bad shape. They were badly rusted under the sealant, which was over 1/8" thick in places.

Heating up the tanks from the outside loosened the sealant enough for the BBs to knock it loose, then another application of vinegar got the rust out.

I don't know who treated them before, but they did a totally asstastic job of it.

Like someone else said, I called 6 different radiator shops and none of them would touch my tanks.

Doc

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I would try aircraft paint and epoxy stripper followed by shaking with a handful of nuts tossed in, then a rinse with water. Saving the paint is gonna depend on how careful you are. Covering the tank with heavy painters plastic and masking everything to the filler neck with plastic electrical tape is what I would try. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would try aircraft paint and epoxy stripper followed by shaking with a handful of nuts tossed in, then a rinse with water. Saving the paint is gonna depend on how careful you are. Covering the tank with heavy painters plastic and masking everything to the filler neck with plastic electrical tape is what I would try. Good luck!
I've used a modified version of this tactic on two tanks - I add in a rinse/soak with vinegar for two hours after the Aircraft Stripper and then final rinse of water to flush all the baddies. Worked a treat and got some disgusting looking crap floating out of it. Then resealed both with Caswell Epoxy Sealant and they have run for a few thousand miles with no issues at all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bennybasics-
Do you wash the tank out with water after soaking it in vingar...? Or do you just start adding the Aircraft Stripper after pouring the vingar out?

I've used a modified version of this tactic on two tanks - I add in a rinse/soak with vinegar for two hours after the Aircraft Stripper and then final rinse of water to flush all the baddies. Worked a treat and got some disgusting looking crap floating out of it. Then resealed both with Caswell Epoxy Sealant and they have run for a few thousand miles with no issues at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Angelus45 - I start by adding the Aircraft Strippe, then water flush, then Vinegar soak, then water flush, then dry, then epoxy sealant. It might be overkill but I like to be thourough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts