Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting a motorcycle. I've had dirtbikes for about 12 yrs. I know nothing about motorcycles. I do not know what I should buy. I really do not have a whole lot of money right now. I just want to buy a bike and work on it gradually. I mainly fool with old cars. Here is what I am kind of wanting. http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4936&highlight=honda

I have located a 1980 honda 750k for $400 and a 1978 Honda super sport that needs a little bit of work for $500. Is there any bike that I need to stay clear of? Thanks for any advice. It is appreciated. Jonathan

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
A fast, great running, fantastic fuel mileage motorcycle..really cheap!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
honestly man, i think you're headed down the right road. im glad to hear that someone new to street riding is looking for a mellow cheap bike. a few of my bonehead friends went out & bought brand new bikes to learn on & now they have to ride scraped up, dropped & half broken new bikes that they are still paying for, even now that they are used to street riding. you are ahead of the game coming from dirt. its nice to know how to crash & how to handle a bike thats sideways.

my 1st street bike was a 72 honda cl450. the old CLs & CBs are killer. well built, quick, easy to maintain, pretty easy to get parts for & they look pretty cool. an old air cooled twin like that is your best bet. when you get into synching 4 carbs & all that - forget it. i think you could come up with a nice running 70's honda pretty cheap. plus, its an investment because i hear they are becoming pretty desireable & some of them are bringing some more money these days. just make sure youve got good tires, cables, lights & all that. my old honda had rotted tires, a rusty bent up chain & barely any brakes. i learned a few things the hard way. failure is the best way to learn right?

good luck man. let us know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pointed out that thread because that is the kind of style that I like. I am not wanting to spend a lot of money on it. Just learn about bikes in general. I want to be able to fix my own stuff. I work at a salvage yard that is about 25 minutes from my house(about18 miles). I figured on buying a bike and cutting down on fuel cost at the same time. Kills two birds with one stone. It's an excellent reason to also buy a bike.:D

Is there anything that I should look at when looking at a used bike? I mean is there any small tails that tell how the bike has been treated.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
go front to back.
wheels straight?
wheel & neck bearings ok?
fork straight?
controls work & not bent up?
cables & fuel lines are easy to fix.
make sure the cases on the motor havent been skidded down the road & patched up with some BS.
gas tank rusted out?
oil semi-clean?
chain & sprockets in good shape (just pull the chain away from the rear sprocket from the back of the bike & make sure there isnt too much play) & make sure the teeth arent all hooked over.
make sure the wires havent been butchered up & taped together
check frame for cracks or obvious crash damage (hammered down fork stops are a sign of a hard crash)
make sure you can find a haynes or clymer manual for it.

just make sure whatever is wrong with it isnt over your head. it would suck to get a bike & have to work on it all summer & finally get it going by the time its snowing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Best bike? Vincent Black Shadow, Can't afford that, You can't go wrong with a good dependable CB750. Just a good all around motorbike. Gregg

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went through the same process of picking a bike to build. It was my first bike and I wanted something cool, cheap, reliable and a bit different. I choose a 1969 Honda CB750. I don't regret it at all!!!!

Mike :D

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
BAD ROD said:
I went through the same process of picking a bike to build. It was my first bike and I wanted something cool, cheap, reliable and a bit different. I choose a 1969 Honda CB750. I don't regret it at all!!!!

Mike :D
Ten four on the cb ruling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts