Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from being new and dumb I need to know if this 80 sportster frame is different than others. Most I have looked at in stock configuration have a single down tube below the seat and the triangle frame around the oil tank. MIne does not - 2 tubes downward and no triangle framing behind the seat area. It's making a difference with the weld - on hard tail. I'm probably just going to get the early - 78 for mechanical brake and weld on my own tabs for the rear disc. Running spool front so i want the disc rear. Hard tail is really strange at the backbone - 1.5" away on either side.

Can someone tell me whats up or state the obvious and Im retarded

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stamped in frame is *3AxxxxxJ0* matches case as well. I've ran the numbers and keep coming up with 1980. Its registered as 1980 also. Do I have some bastard factory frame? My suspicions of the frame being earlier are correct apparently

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cut the rear protruding pieces off as I was fitting the hard tail. The 79-81 tail just isn't even close. Can't figure out why the frame is stamped 1980 though when it clearly is not. This frame should have been stopped in 1979.

???

·
Registered
431 Posts
That frame is 100% 1980. Actually it's about 65-70% of a 1980 frame, lol. Somebodies grinder accidentally slipped near it, obviously, though. It has the '80 style coil and regulator mount, the '80 kickstand, and of course the '80 VIN.

·
Registered
431 Posts
P.S., the factory never used metal supply square stock and stick welding for the back section, that rear end is pretty obviously fabricated. AND if you look at the rear motor mount casting there's no opening for a kickstart shaft. 1980 is the first year of no kicker being offered at all.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
P.S., the factory never used metal supply square stock and stick welding for the back section, that rear end is pretty obviously fabricated. AND if you look at the rear motor mount casting there's no opening for a kickstart shaft. 1980 is the first year of no kicker being offered at all.
Opening for a kickstart shaft?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't see where the metal supply square stock is and I don't see where the fabricated rear end is. I guess I'm gonna have to have another look when I get home but it all appears very factory to me

·
Registered
431 Posts
most Sportsters have a large hole in the lower rear motormount casting for the kicker shaft to travel through. It's (usually) just above the lower rear M/M bolts, but below the swingarm mount.. It's not present on this frame. There's a bunch of grinding done to the casting to erase the front triangular tubes. That's just a cut-up 1980 frame. The absent kicker shaft hole means it MUST be 1980 and up. Somebody just tried to make it as pre-'78 as possible. O closer inpection it does look like it's all from the OG frame, though, it's just not all OF the OG frame.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't mean to be contentious, but that absolutely is NOT a pre '78 frame. You can clearly see here:

http://www.sporty-ironheads.com/sportster_frames/1980_Sportster_Frame_by_Dave.php

Every element of your frame is present except for the cut off stuff. A '78 frame would have nice clean straight rear tubes and the backbone would be squished right where it joins the "U" shaped 1/2" thick piece that was the fender strut mount. IMO, if it has EVERY element of a 1980 frame, AND a 1980 VIN number AND there's obvious grinding and welding in the rear portion AND the backbone looks completely different from all known late '73-'78 frames, then you have a modified 1980 frame.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts