Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
538 Posts
Worth is always about "if someone wants it" and to a military restorer it's worth more.$800 is a good price.Though you'll have teh "the farme is 1500" motor 1500
etc,,it's really about what you can afford

Oops missed the rebuilt,,make it 1500 :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! That's it!? I was thinking they were worth more. I wonder how much price difference there would be between West and East coast's "worth"? I'm not familiar with VL's, WLA's or any 45's for that matter. Not sure of the availability in the southwest region either.

Thanks for your input satanherself!
satanherself said:
Worth is always about "if someone wants it" and to a military restorer it's worth more.$800 is a good price.Though you'll have teh "the farme is 1500" motor 1500
etc,,it's really about what you can afford

Oops missed the rebuilt,,make it 1500 :)

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
You can spend ten thousand on restoring a 45....and thats what they are worth all done......spend the same ten k on a knuckle or pan and see the difference. 45's are cool.....just not as rare as some other hd's...

·
Banned
538 Posts
Well like I said it depends on where you go and who you talk to. 45's were always cheap but in the last 5-6 years the prices have gotten rediclous,WLA is a military 45 (ie-no title in most cases) with ebay and everyone jumping on the
chopper band wagon someone could pay like 3500-4000 for that.If yer out in the middle of nowhere and someone can't ship it or whatever,then the price
should be more reasonable.But it goes back to "it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" :) If you can afford it grab it as they are great lil machines

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! Thanks for the input. I went to look at a car at some guys house and he opened his garage up and it was like opening the gates to heaven! TONS of old HD stuff including a few 45's, a bunch of pan and shovel stuff, a complete Ironhead chop that he just sold, some tanks, frames, couple stretched out girders and springers, the list goes on! Piles of stuff stacked on top stuff. Amidst all that, he had a 1924 HD something or another set up to look like a board racer. Very cool! I took some pictures of his stuff. I'll try to remember to post them next week.

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
If I could buy a rebuilt 45 motor/trans. and frame for $1500 I'd build a neat little chopper.

-Stuff you found $1500
-Shaved narrowglide $400
-Repop 18 star hub wheel & repop. drum brake set-up, spool wheel, tires $1300
-Tank, bars, seat, pipes, misc. hardware $1000
-Paint $700

Now if you just wanted to build something rough w/ bare metal, a good stance, and little shine, it could be done for a lot less by searching swaps and eBay.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Well let's see now. I bought a complete, original Army surplus WLA in 1969 for $200. Other than a bent springer and front wheel it was in mint condition with the original 1948 D.O.D. storage documents in the tool box and the cylinders full of cosmoline. So with inflation and people looseing their goddamn minds over what this old shit is worth I'd say a crapped out basket case should bring around $15k. :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EXACTLY!! The guy who's selling this WLA will no WAY let it go for what it's actually worth. I went to look at a Model A Sport Coupe body at his house. It was TRASHED and completely rotted. Not a good piece of sheet metal on it. Realistic price would have been $250 tops. He wouldn't take less than $800!!! What the hell is everyone freakin' out about these days? There is still tons of this stuff out there, but the problem is people are becoming antique collectors and hording it for themselves. Keeping it hidden so it seems like there is less of it... I would love to offer the guy $1500 for the motor, trans, and one of his straight frames! I'm sure he'd never take it in a million years since he thinks he's sitting on some kind of gold mine.
satanherself said:
lol,everyones livin in a dream world and got to much $$ to spend

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I paid $1500 for a new G motor with hot came, magneto and generator. I sold it to a customer made no money (don't ask me why)

I got offered today a runner rebuilt WLA motor for $1700

I ordered a repop frame They are $1800 retail or $2100 retail from V-Twin (I'll keep wholesale a secret, but it ain't much lower).

So a cherry frame is worth in the neighborhood of $1500 to a restorer or someone who wants a cherry frame.

A rebuilt motor can be had for $1500, but who rebuilt it etc, is always a valid question.

Problem with a runner or a roller project is that darned SPRINGER that everyone thinks is gold and diamonds. New repop springer about $900 to $1100 depending on chrome. And if everything is junk, then you might as well open u the catalogue and start with the wheels.

And use a Triumph pre-unit transmission, not that crappy 3 speed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
satanherself said:
$1300 for wheels?
I think he meant wheels, tires and brakes.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
fouraceswes said:
I ordered a repop frame They are $1800 retail or $2100 retail from V-Twin (I'll keep wholesale a secret, but it ain't much lower).
$1,331 from 45 Parts Depot, who I think everyone else is buying them from. My WLD mutt, now a rolling basket, has a Triumph spool rear wheel, Yamaha R5 front drum, converted tractor Wico mag, and will eventually sport a set of narrowed fatbobs (to look like WR tanks). I've considered a 45 Parts Depot frame for when I have the money to buy one. My original is pretty hacked up - bent and deraked.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would love to build one of these, think they are very cool. Can anyone decode for me all the prefixes, i.e. Wl, WLA, VL, etc. ...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good info Wes! Never thought of a pre-unit trans. Good idea...

BTW, congratulations on your appearance in the Horse mag with the black and blue bikes! Those bikes rule man!
fouraceswes said:
I paid $1500 for a new G motor with hot came, magneto and generator. I sold it to a customer made no money (don't ask me why)

I got offered today a runner rebuilt WLA motor for $1700

So a cherry frame is worth in the neighborhood of $1500 to a restorer or someone who wants a cherry frame.

A rebuilt motor can be had for $1500, but who rebuilt it etc, is always a valid question.

Problem with a runner or a roller project is that darned SPRINGER that everyone thinks is gold and diamonds. New repop springer about $900 to $1100 depending on chrome. And if everything is junk, then you might as well open u the catalogue and start with the wheels.

And use a Triumph pre-unit transmission, not that crappy 3 speed.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
$1330 is the Euro price. Multiply that by about $1.25 or 1.30 depending on the day and you get about $1700 to $1800. Still a good prce for a VERY nice repop of a difficult frame to make.

Thanks Scoot, glad people are seeing them.

I never thought of the Triumph rear weel too, hmmmmm Iam doing a 45 with brit tranny next year fora customer, must think about trump rear wheel.

wes

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
satanherself said:
lol,everyones livin in a dream world and got to much $$ to spend
Or you're living in the armpit of the country and are out of touch with reality.

And so we don't get into a pissing contest, I'm defining reality as what eBay, Walnecks, etc. have pushed bike part prices to, not the lucky once-in-a-while barn find.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
fouraceswes said:
$1330 is the Euro price. Multiply that by about $1.25 or 1.30 depending on the day and you get about $1700 to $1800. Still a good prce for a VERY nice repop of a difficult frame to make.

Thanks Scoot, glad people are seeing them.

I never thought of the Triumph rear weel too, hmmmmm Iam doing a 45 with brit tranny next year fora customer, must think about trump rear wheel.

wes
Victory Library puts out a pretty good little book on this mod. They've got several good flathead books too.
http://victorylibrary.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts