Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About all I've been able to determine in reading is that they were an English manufacturer of V-twins from the early part of the 20th Century through WWII and that they served as an OE supplier for a number of manufacturers (as well as an aftermarket supplier, it would seem). They certainly turned out a beautiful product.

Can anybody give me a brief history of the company and its products, along with maybe some references I can check out? I've tried Google, but all a search on "JAP motorcycle engine" brings up are links to stuff about Japanese motorcycles.

Thanks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Bigcheese5300 said:
About all I've been able to determine in reading is that they were an English manufacturer of V-twins from the early part of the 20th Century through WWII and that they served as an OE supplier for a number of manufacturers (as well as an aftermarket supplier, it would seem). They certainly turned out a beautiful product.

Can anybody give me a brief history of the company and its products, along with maybe some references I can check out? I've tried Google, but all a search on "JAP motorcycle engine" brings up are links to stuff about Japanese motorcycles.

Thanks.
James A Prestwich, who is argued the first to build a OHV V-twin in 1906. After a brief stint in full motorcycle production the J.A.P company moved to producing only engines. Were highly prized on race circuits due to HP and acceleration. Very popular with the Morgan crowd. They were a pretty bullet proof design, and pretty constant. High level of craftsmanship. Merged with Villiers compnay in 1957, not sure when final production actually ended. There were single J.A.P 's too, but rare.

I think they are probably the second most beautiful V-twin made behind the Vincent

·
Registered
384 Posts
ol_scratch said:
James A Prestwich, who is argued the first to build a OHV V-twin in 1906. After a brief stint in full motorcycle production the J.A.P company moved to producing only engines. Were highly prized on race circuits due to HP and acceleration. Very popular with the Morgan crowd. They were a pretty bullet proof design, and pretty constant. High level of craftsmanship. Merged with Villiers compnay in 1957, not sure when final production actually ended. There were single J.A.P 's too, but rare.

I think they are probably the second most beautiful V-twin made behind the Vincent
Here is a link to some info for ya
http://www.mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de/~schenker/jap.htm

the motor i just bought is a 1922 45" sports sidevalve:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Craven Moorhead said:
The guy on this bike.
Saw that one comin'. :D Don't they have a word for "rake" in Japanese? I mean, hell, I like bobbers with 28* rake, but that's ridiculous.

Oranje, that bike is awesome! Thanks for the pic.

Thanks for all the good info, everybody.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts