Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,728 Posts
Damn, that looks really good under all that boxing! Super clean. I'd be tempted to weld in a few thought out reinforcements just to calm my mind.

I've seen a few Evo Sporty shock relocation pics on one of the Japanese sites. If I can find one, I'll post it cause it looks equally cool.

Thanks for posting the pics and keep em coming if you do decide to hack some more off.

· Registered
2,728 Posts
The pics I've seen of the shock work, they shorten the triangles and move them closer to the seat post. They also move the mount on the swingarm forward and running covered shocks seems to be the theme in the pics I've seen.

Like bobscogin said, I should have bookmarked them or saved the pics. It really made the back section of the frame look good. I'll keep looking.

· Registered
2,728 Posts
Thanks! The factory manual gives the dimension from the neck center to the seat posts centers, but not from there to the shock mounts.

Bob
OK...66 Sportster with the straight seat post tubes, pre-electric start.

Centerline of neck to centerline of shock bolt: 30 5/8".

I guess add about 1 1/4" for an electric frame, but that's just a ballpark on my part.

· Registered
2,728 Posts
All things aside, I still think that neck looks fantastic and I wouldn't have thought under all that stamped metal, a nice looking head stock was hiding. After seeing what you've done, I'd love to put my hands on a spare frame and try the same thing. If they ever drop below $300 I'll maybe give it a try.

Keep the pics comin as you make progress! Very interesting.

· Registered
2,728 Posts
Sounds like a plan. If you proceed with the modification, let us in on it. As an option, if I could get my hands on a pre '74 Ironhead frame that was bent or junk, I'd see what it would take to mate the rear half to the Evo frame. Alternately, I wonder if the backbone of an Ironhead frame could be raised to accommodate the Evo powerplant.

Bob
Sorry to hijack but please look the other way for a second...

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/11/01/building-the-web-surfer-special-pt-1/

Back to the cool frame mods. :D

· Registered
2,728 Posts
You said originally that you were trying to get an Ironhead look for your frame. I have no experience with this but I've seen Evo swingarms on Ironhead frames but how about the other way around? Is that even possible? I've never made a side by side comparison. I'm sure someone else has by now.

Just a thought.

· Registered
2,728 Posts
Of course, most anything can be interchanged with modifcations, but for stock swing arm interchanges, here's the deal. You can put a box section swing arm on your pre-'82 Ironhead by using the '79-'81 disk brake swing arm. In '82, the frame changed and none of the '82 and newer swing arms will fit earlier frames.

Bob
Well, there it is! Thanks.

· Registered
2,728 Posts
There's another site that I can't find that has much better pics of the upper and lower mounts. I'll find it eventually, but that'll be years from now cause I'm just not organized. I like the look myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.