Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I have a 71 250 scrambler, that has a 450 engine in it. I am unsure of the year of the engine. I picked the bike up as a non runner, and am anticipating firing it up in the coming months. I have yet to acquire a manual. I would like to drop a battery in the bike, and just see if the lights work, and maybe if it has spark. My question is is the bike 6 or 12 volts? To add to the mystery the bike looks like it may have updated electrics, if its 6v I'm wondering if it may have been updated to 12. Any info appreciated. Thanx!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...thanx for the responses guys. All good tips. I fear that the system indeed is 6v. I found a manual online, and in the electrics section it frequently mentions '6v'. It does look to have an upgraded coil, so I will give it a look over with a magnifing glass, as well as any light bulbs that are in it. Thanx!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had a '65 250 Scrambler that we ice-raced in 1980. There was something about that the taillight bulb was in the ignition circuit and if it blew, the motor died. You might find more on the internet, but it could be a troubleshooting step, if you have trouble.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
I had a '65 250 Scrambler that we ice-raced in 1980. There was something about that the taillight bulb was in the ignition circuit and if it blew, the motor died. You might find more on the internet, but it could be a troubleshooting step, if you have trouble.
Some of the H-D Aermacchi lightweights were the same way! And the bulbs blew all the time. Goofy Italian electrics!:rolleyes:
Robbie

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've got three Ducati singles, all 66~67 'narrow case' models, including a 250 Scrambler. The early Ducs like mine are all 6V. Your 450 is probably 12V. If it's a Desmo engine, see what the manual for Desmo 450s says.

This is not the site for Duc info. Get on the Bevel Heaven forum or other Duc forum and talk to those guys.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...thanx for the responses. I should probably just bite the bullet a buy a 6v battery and just give is a try...no harm in that. I just don't want to drop a 12v batter in it and fry something. I will post over on bevel heaven.

·
Registered
252 Posts
...thanx for the responses. I should probably just bite the bullet a buy a 6v battery and just give is a try...no harm in that. I just don't want to drop a 12v batter in it and fry something.
Just so there is no confusion in what I said: ALL Ducati singles are 6 volt.

To clarify some more: count the sparking plugs; 1 = 6 volts.

Cosmo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@swooshdave pulled one of the plugs, and indeed it looks to be 6 volts...

@Cosmo I hear ya...I guess I was just secretly hoping it was 12v so I could cheap out and not have to buy a battery.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The 250 scrambler runs a mag, so it doesn't need a battery. The battery is charged from the mag. Mine runs fine with no batt. Your 450 may be the same, so check up on that. Obviously, if it's been sitting for a long time, clean the points, etc.
The street models use an AC generator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.