Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and am into automobiles and motorcycles. I have several old cars and one dirtbike. I am wanting to build a bike myself. I was thinking of a BSA or a triumph. I was looking thorugh the local paper tonight and saw a 81 sportster for sale. It has no title and the owner is asking $1200 for it. I do not know much about bikes. I would like to have a hardtail frame. I was thinking of buying an aftermarket frame and using the sportster motor and trans. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
don't try for the ultimate chopper on your first try. get something you can afford without too much strain (running with a title) even if its a jap bike (650 yamahas are good candidates) and learn on it. read everything you can and look at a lot of pictures to get ideas. just about any bike can be made cool with a little skill and talent. and don't be afraid to experiment or try new designs, don't just copy what other people are doing.
(damn, this is starting to sound like a sex talk)

and don't buy a sportster, sportsters are da debel :eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
lilbill said:
don't try for the ultimate chopper on your first try. get something you can afford without too much strain (running with a title) even if its a jap bike (650 yamahas are good candidates) and learn on it. read everything you can and look at a lot of pictures to get ideas. just about any bike can be made cool with a little skill and talent. and don't be afraid to experiment or try new designs, don't just copy what other people are doing.
(damn, this is starting to sound like a sex talk)

and don't buy a sportster, sportsters are da debel :eek:
If they are good enough for Sonny Barger...

Buy what you want, Sportsters rock.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
El Caballo said:
If they are good enough for Sonny Barger...

Buy what you want, Sportsters rock.
did i step on someones toes ?? :D
i've had 3 different ironheads over the years. a 62 ch frisco style, a 73 stocker and a 76 stocker and they all sucked. anyone can ride whatever they want to, not my call. but he asked for opinions and in my opinion a sportster is the most miserable motorcycle ever built. and i don't base my opinions on what so and so rides. i've owned 3 of the motherfuckers and i....don't......like.......them...... ;)
in the great scheme of things, it means what it means :)

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
lilbill said:
did i step on someones toes ?? :D
i've had 3 different ironheads over the years. a 62 ch frisco style, a 73 stocker and a 76 stocker and they all sucked. anyone can ride whatever they want to, not my call. but he asked for opinions and in my opinion a sportster is the most miserable motorcycle ever built. and i don't base my opinions on what so and so rides. i've owned 3 of the motherfuckers and i....don't......like.......them...... ;)
in the great scheme of things, it means what it means :)
I put a few touches on an ironhead .. it still sucked.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had a 59 iron head and it was a piece of Shit to ride unless you were just going around town . I never had a bike vibrate so bad in all my life . Then one day the back of the trany came off , right were the speedo drive is . But $1200.00 I'd snatch it as long as you can get a title and it's not a hot ! Also go with a buddy and meet somewere public just in case it's a "bike burn" Because $1200 seems crazy cheap unless it's a baskit case .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I rode an Ironhead for years and it was a decent road bike provided it's set up and tuned decently. My wife and I went on many 300-400 mile weekend tours and it was reliable - provided I spent an evening prepping it before hand. I commuted to work (300 miles a week) and it was pretty reliable provided I spent a few hours every weekend - adjusting and repairing. I went on a 1400 mile tour and it was fun and got me home - but I sat by the side of the road adjusting points and drive chain... such it was... when it ran well it was a joy at 55 - 80 mph. To keep it running well as a daily rider - I would recommend no more than 9:1 c/r pistons and a good carb. Those CV take-offs from newer Harleys are considered very good but I ran a Mikuni 38mm round slide for awhile after tossing the worn out Bendix - it ran great with the Mikuni but only averaged around 38 mpg but then I got a SU (which is a British CV) which averaged 42-44 mpg and was easy to tune - even allowing minor adjustments WHILE RIDING! I'd rich it up a bit when someone wanted to race - heh heh heh. I think Ironhead chops are some of the best looking, second to Knuckleheads. Parts are reasonably available and there is a lot of know-how one can tap into. I doubt that I will have another though... too high maintenance! I have an FXR evo now and an XS-650. The Yamaha is so much more reliable - and parts are just as available - and I like it. If I had to start over and money was an issue (it is) I'd go for an XS-650 or an older Evo Sportster. These bikes are fun to fix up but won't tax your time nor nickle and dime you the way an Ironhead will.

·
Registered
789 Posts
junkyard junky said:
I am new here and am into automobiles and motorcycles. I have several old cars and one dirtbike. I am wanting to build a bike myself. I was thinking of a BSA or a triumph. I was looking thorugh the local paper tonight and saw a 81 sportster for sale. It has no title and the owner is asking $1200 for it. I do not know much about bikes. I would like to have a hardtail frame. I was thinking of buying an aftermarket frame and using the sportster motor and trans. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Buy the Sportster, throw the motor in a FlyRite Smokin' Gun roller, forge a title, quit your job, punch your old lady in the tits and haul ass. Hey man--you're an outlaw biker. You don't need to conform to The Man.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
halwade said:
Buy the Sportster, throw the motor in a FlyRite Smokin' Gun roller, forge a title, quit your job, punch your old lady in the tits and haul ass. Hey man--you're an outlaw biker. You don't need to conform to The Man.
damn, i just got a tear in my eye :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been looking at pictures of bikes and getting the description of what they are using. I am trying to get an idea of what I like. Mostly the less, the better and nothing fancy. Is a title for a bike hard to get? If you buy an aftermarket frame or build your own bike, what do you do to get a title. I know how I can get a title for an old car if it is missing the vin. On some of the cars like a model a, I think the vin is on the frame. I was just wondering if it was easy to get a title for a bike.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You'll probably need to call your DOT/DMV for your state's specifics on a Special Construction bike.

Here in IL, as I remember, I needed a MSO or title for the frame, and a title from the engine donor bike. From that, they'd give me a new title and new VIN, after passing an inspection.

Also find out what's required to pass inspection, signals, speedo, mirrors, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the harley sounds like a screamin deal almost to good...check with the dmv about the title some states are a real mother....about paper work if it aint hot Id be all over it. but back to your question. your first bike.Id find something I could ride home or damn close to it. jap brit harley it dont matter cuz its yours.the 650 yammyhaa is a solid choice and about any in line four from the 70s will do you good also.I would look for a bike on the cheap,a canoprimer can whip even the ulgylist paint job bad chrome another canoprimer.you get the idea.get up and ridin then figure out what you REALLY want and buy parts along, cuz workin on bikes is cool but ridin em is waaay cooler remember this is suppost to be fun right? anyway good luck and good ridin :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.