Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This '77 Ironhead that I picked up a while ago has a Super E carburetor. The motor is stock and runs well but it seems to be running a bit rich. This is the first bike I've had that runs an S&S of any model and I don't know a whole lot about them. I'm wondering if it's over carbed for the motor or if there are specific jets that I could get that would be a better match for this set up? I haven't yet tore into the carb to see what jets are in there but am going to tomorrow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
29.5 intermediate, 72 main if you are running drag pipes. if you have mufflers you may want to lean out the intermediate jet by one size, 28.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I remember correctly S&S recommends 26.5 & 69.5 for sportsters. My indy recommends the same for 74" & 80" shovels. I have an 80" EVO with a cam and it came with 26.5 & 69.5 jets. Wasn't running right so I rebuilt the Super E and found that the PO had left a BB out of the accelerator pump, I changed the jets to 28 & 70 and it ran flat. Changed it back to the smaller jets and it screams! The biggest problem that I have seen with S&S carbs is they are set up too rich, usually to compensate for intake leaks. I've been chasing down intake leaks on my 80" shovel and I'm down to a 28 and 70. Still runs too flat so I'll be putting more time in tightening up my leaks and playing with smaller jets. Definitely can feel and hear the difference.

YMMV

Jerry

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a '79 Sportster. I got it with 29.5 and 70. It ran, but definitely rich. Now i'm running 28 & 68 and seems to be about right.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If I remember correctly S&S recommends 26.5 & 69.5 for sportsters. My indy recommends the same for 74" & 80" shovels. I have an 80" EVO with a cam and it came with 26.5 & 69.5 jets. Wasn't running right so I rebuilt the Super E and found that the PO had left a BB out of the accelerator pump, I changed the jets to 28 & 70 and it ran flat. Changed it back to the smaller jets and it screams! The biggest problem that I have seen with S&S carbs is they are set up too rich, usually to compensate for intake leaks. I've been chasing down intake leaks on my 80" shovel and I'm down to a 28 and 70. Still runs too flat so I'll be putting more time in tightening up my leaks and playing with smaller jets. Definitely can feel and hear the difference.

YMMV

Jerry
my best solution for intake leaks on o ring style heads and intakes is to run 4 nylon spacers that i make up to sit on the lip of the intake and cylinder head then run a regular rubber band style clamp and rubber
works like a charm and works very well if you have a piece on the lip of the head thats chipped or missing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the responses, it's much appreciated!!! Like i said, this is the first S&S that i've ever dinked around with.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would also like some info on this, as i am having trouble tuning mine in. I have been doing lots of reading on different forums and it seems that most people feel that a s&s is too much of a carb for an ironhead. thus using very small jets like 26.5int and 68 main. any poinions on this??

·
Registered
317 Posts
I run a 28 68 on my 74 with R5 cams and a 2 into 1, with the pump almost off completely

·
Registered
43 Posts
The guy at Browns Cycle's here in Dallas reccomended a 26 / 66 set up for my 75 ironhead. Stock engine except for the Super E and drag pipes. Seems to be much better with that 26 in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts