Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the tank I got from Okiecockfighter.
I think it is made from about 18 guage steel cause its heavy and I don't think it would be too easy to put a dent in this sucker.
Anybody know what kind of tank it is?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
mikey1610 said:
So here is the tank I got from Okiecockfighter.
I think it is made from about 18 guage steel cause its heavy and I don't think it would be too easy to put a dent in this sucker.
Anybody know what kind of tank it is?

Yeah, it's a Paughco "axed Harley" tank. Not the same one they call the "axed Harley" tank now, but that style was made from about '70-'80.

They came in a 1 or 2 gas cap version, and take the early Harley petcock.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Axed Harley or axed Mustang? It looks the same as my tank which I thought was a Paughco axed (or Narrowed) Mustang tank.My fuel tap are 1/4" NPT. It was a dual cap, but someone got rid of the cap on the left. When I sanded it down I found that and the Paughco stamp on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Looks like a horn judging from the shape and the wires going to it. Could be wrong.
Sporticus said:
Nice Triumph. That tank works well. What is that skateboard wheel looking thing in front of the exhaust rocker box?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea..its a horn. It was on the bike when I got it. It won't be there when the bike is finished.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okiecockfighter said:
Man that thing looks right on there, glad it made it to ya okay, i have been having trouble with the ole post office here. Any ideas on a paint scheme ? ?
I was thinking somewhere along there lines but not these colors.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
ChopperMark said:
Axed Harley or axed Mustang? It looks the same as my tank which I thought was a Paughco axed (or Narrowed) Mustang tank.My fuel tap are 1/4" NPT. It was a dual cap, but someone got rid of the cap on the left. When I sanded it down I found that and the Paughco stamp on the bottom.
I guess you were mistaken, then. Go check Paughco's website, and try and find your tank, they haven't made that tank for years.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I didn't buy it new, I got it at a swap meet. I just looked at the website. It is tank #805, narrow Mustang tank, with the second cap bung removed. On the axed Harley tanks the cap is practically level. The still make axed Harley tanks too.

I have maximum respect for your knowledge and abilities Rich, but I am pretty damn sure that what I have is the narrow Mustang tank. I think that blue tank is narrow Mustang tank too, judging by the cap location, the mounting tabs, and the dual petcock taps.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
mikey1610 said:
That right.
well, shut my mouth. really liked the Jammer seat on that (old version of the) bike. got one for my new build. AND, I've got a dual cap old Paughco 'axed Harley' - whoa.....

progress pics soon.

MC

1 - 20 of 60 Posts