Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across one in my stash yesterday. Looks like it is in good shape, complete, and relatively clean. Not sure what they are worth, and have no idea if they are even decent for anything other than a stock engine.

What might I learn from those who know more than I?

Doc

·
Registered
978 Posts
I ran a Bendix on my knuckle....LOVED IT!!

It DID have a small flat spot in the middle before the pump kicked in, but I learned to ride through that.
Good, reliable starts, and I got really spoiled by the 45mpg I got outta it when I went back to my Linkert. (I put the bike completely back to original before I sold it)

·
Registered
67 Posts
My shovel had one on it when I bought it, it ran OK, but nothing to get too excited about. I have seen them sell for anywhere from $25 to 100, I think there are better ones out there. JMHO, YMMV, etc

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Zenith/Bendix carbs were used mid '70's. Some guys swear by them, mostly the guys who know how to tune them. Not a race carb but reliable, rebuildable and tunable.

There is an adjustable main jet available and some of the replacement ones come with this already installed. I'm not a fan, for two reasons. One, I've never seen one where the needle goes straight into the emulsion tube, they're always just a little off. Two, guys just can't leave them alone. They always want to fiddle with it. To me, it's best to put a fixed jet in it, get it tuned, and leave it alone!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Great carb, and they can be made to perform, but like anything, you have to work it like you love it. As long as you use the USA made, more expensive rebuild kits, they will run for years without maintenance. Great fuel mileage on BT or Sportster. The only HD carb that runs better, is the later CV with the acc pump.

·
Registered
250 Posts
my sporty had one for years an it got tired so,,,,, I have run to S+S super Es on it an VM38 mikuni an have gone back to the bendix with just a bit of fiddling it works really good I have also run a SU carb loved the way it ran but hated the hard starting with the SU being a XLCH need the gas to prime the engine, so back to a bendix

·
Registered
167 Posts
Zenith/Bendix carbs were used mid '70's. Some guys swear by them, mostly the guys who know how to tune them. Not a race carb but reliable, rebuildable and tunable.

There is an adjustable main jet available and some of the replacement ones come with this already installed. I'm not a fan, for two reasons. One, I've never seen one where the needle goes straight into the emulsion tube, they're always just a little off. Two, guys just can't leave them alone. They always want to fiddle with it. To me, it's best to put a fixed jet in it, get it tuned, and leave it alone!
Could not agree more with all of the info stated above. I have one on my 62 project due to having a accelerator pump and minimal adjustments.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got one with the fixed jet and I like it. Overhauled it once when I got the bike 3 years ago and have not touched it since. Probably not the highest performance but can't beat the reliability. I have an adjustable main that came with it but have never installed it, I kind of like the 'set it and forget it' of the fixed jet.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well then. Looks like the consensus is that I have found a little gold nugget in the stash, being that this thing would be good for a nice daily rider once tuned properly. Good! I didn't find a turd in the stash.....lol. I didn't even know I had it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah I like my bendix as well. Starts good, runs good, good mileage. I've thought about switching to a vm38 or a cv, but id basically be fixing something that aint broke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts