Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mikuni that I have now is yuck. Swap meet this weekend so looking for some ideas and experience. Stock motor...nothing fancy

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
super B (cheapest option probably) going rate for them in good shape with air cleaner assembly is about $100-$125)
or CV (but you have to make up a support bracket for it and get an manifold conversion)
or Super E (if you dont have a mag, if you have a mag it wont clear it )

·
6,351 Posts
Yeah...any carb you pull out of a milk crate for cheap at a swap will likely have it's own issues; you may very well have to rejet and get a new throttle cable while you're at it.

If money is a concern, why don't you just remove, clean (what is "yuck", any way?) and rebuild the Mikuni you have on there now and see if that is indeed your fuel problem instead of just randomly trying different parts?

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Yeah...any carb you pull out of a milk crate for cheap at a swap will likely have it's own issues; you may very well have to rejet and get a new throttle cable while you're at it.

If money is a concern, why don't you just remove, clean (what is "yuck", any way?) and rebuild the Mikuni you have on there now and see if that is indeed your fuel problem instead of just randomly trying different parts?
^.....Words of wisdom.....^

Say Doc.....You don't have a white beard and live on a mountain top by any chance do ya?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Draw benway and others your words of wisdom ring true. However an assumption that I am randomly changing out parts is not. There are several issues with the mikuni that I have now such as a manifold issue a mounting bracket issue and sneer for rebuilding issue. All in all I figure I'll have close to $100 when its all fixed so if I'm going that far why not look at other options that may be better options for not that much more money. Its certainly worth a look ... agree???

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had good luck with the old Bendix, if you are looking for something that is relatively low in price.
We have a winner......rebuild it the right way, with a US made kit and accelerator pump, and you'll have a completely serviceable carb....set up right, an adjustable main 38mm will feed all the gas a basically stock ironhead can drink....starts easy, and idles fine too

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The Bendix is a good carb, and they ran then on sportsters for a few years. You can find them at the swap meets for 50 or less. Sometimes, you can get a pretty good carb, with the adjustable mainjet. Then, you have a bolt on and go carb, after a few trips down the road to set the mainjet. The USA rebuild kits are about 40 bucks, and it uses the stock intake manifold. If the mikuni throttle cable is long enough, with some fab skills, you can use it on the Bendix.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm with everyone else. Rebuild the Mik if you can. If that is not possible for some reason watch the swap meet board here and at Chop Cult.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can certainly rebuild the Mikuni, haven't been able to find any good info on them here so I thought I would ask about other options. It is a round slide (VM?) so I believe it is the better of the bunch to start? Is there any sort of adapter for stock manifold other than the crummy piece of radiator hose that doesn't fit well currently? Also Are there any pics of some on ironheads out there so I can see some mounting brackets?

·
Registered
250 Posts
humm let me look VM 38s are a good carb I just didnt like mine on a XLCH but once i got it started it was fine an ran super But now i am back to a re worked bendix which works fine for me I just made up a support an ran it from the center case bolt (where your oil lines for the heads come out of the block) to the intake lower bolt worked an yes the do shake around due to the rubber intake mount but hell what doesn't shake on a sporty check out my post ironhead update you will see the VM38 on my sporty dated 6/10/2011

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
I just picked up a "like new" cv at the swapmeet with intake, and cables,etc for 40 bucks. I have heard good things about em.
This would be my choice.....^^

Nothing wrong with the Bendix or the Keihin butterfly copy, but for being a fixed venturi.....

The 40mm CV would be best suited for Harley motors in a street application ...be it a Pan, Shovel, Evo or Ironhead....IMO

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

=======================================================

I'm going to go out on a limb and bet the Good doctor prefers Rye bread or pehaps Sourdough.
I would bet if the Good Doctor is really a Doctor.....His bread is Green....;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
187 Posts
my friend has 2 ironheads, a 71 with a super E and a 68 with a bendix. That bendix ran open with no cleaner runs like a champ with little to no stoplight reach between the legs screw fiddling,.

the super e is a pain in the fucking ass unless you really take the time and have the know how to dial em in.

also if you are running a mag or plan to a lot of the ironheads may have a bit of a problem fitting some of the SS models without some messing around

I do hear good things about the mikunis though so maybe you should just buy a few jet sizes, give it a good bath, and spend a weekend messing around with it

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
38mm Bendix with the adjustable main. Great all around carb. Cheap to buy, cheap to keep, easy to rebuild forever and easy to tune with good gas mileage to boot.

You can run it on your 900 Sporty then put it on your 1000 Sporty and then put it on your 74 Shovel and then your 80 Shovel and then on a stroker....etc., etc. Same carb with an adjustable main jet runs em all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Druid your bike is clean as skeeters peeter! I see the bracket - makes sense. I will look at whats out there out at the swap but it seems I can get good with this mikuni too. Whats with the tubes that come out of it? Is there a premade rubber piece to mate it to the intake?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ps thanks for all of your help... I can help folks on the hamb but I have been reading and learning from y'all for a while now. Really great info and ideas!

·
Registered
250 Posts
thats the over flow tubes!! instead of have it over flow onto the engine i put in a T an another line an ran it to someplace safe in case it over flowed works for me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts